Blackfly Option Review

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

gumpy
C Maven

Blackfly Option Review

Post by gumpy »

I headed out for the long drive to ALF last Friday morning, without a boat. I stopped by the Blackfly factory(Jeremy's house) on my way, and got my new ride. Jeremy was kind enough to let me tweak the outfitting in his barn, offering the use of his tools & materials. Very cool. So off I went to Tennessee, where the water was high, with a boat I had never been in. My first run was the Middle Prong of the Little Pidgeon (Greenbriar?). Good thing for me the Option was up to the task. It's a very steep & technical run, and I found out very quickly that the Option boofs well, is very dry, and really snaps into eddys. At 8 foot 7, it fits into microeddys easily. I'm 5'10", 180# and the Option feels perfect. I had no problem boofing over holes, boulders, logs, whatever. I actually became accustomed to the boat pretty fast. It just did what I expected. That seemed to be it's greatest attribute-Predictability. I really like the nearly continuous stability. Almost no difference from flat to heeled over. It does firm up as the gunnels approach the water, but I can easily hold it at any degree of tilt, even in heavy water. This is very useful making sketchy ferries, sliding over F-U rocks, right before that big move. Midway through the first day I was done worrying about the boat, and completely focused on the water. Huge improvement over those "learning curve" boats. It rolls easily. Again, no surprises. All it takes is a little hip thrust and it floats over holes dry. It's basically a good, solid, modern creeker at a GREAT price, bags included. Feel free to ask more specific questions.
Joe
doomroller
c

Post by doomroller »

How did the boat track? Were you able to put it on edge and glide or was it constantly trying to spin?

Really psyched to try the boat and compare to the L'edge. I will be buying one of the two this Spring and would love more feedback.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

the option tracks better than the ledge. the ledge turns easier than the option. a halfway decent j-stroke will get you all the speed you need. try them both if you can, it's a matter of taste.
Joe
D-Caption
C Guru

Option review

Post by D-Caption »

Hey Gumpy,
Have you paddled the Spanish Fly, and if so how do they compare.
thanks
D-Caption
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

the s-fly is slower, wetter, but turns faster and is easier to ender. the option makes stiff ferries wayyyyy easier, and smashes through big holes really dry due to the flared bow. i'd prefer the s-fly for playboating, but then again the original blackfly is a far superior playboat to the s-fly. we're talking different eras here. if you're creeking in the s-fly then the option is two giant steps forward. if the s-fly is your only boat, and you like surfing big waves and throwing ends, keep it.
Joe
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

How's it compare to your old Det?
Faster?
Drier?
Stability
Is it more agile?
Weight?
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I can tell you that when I read 53 lbs for the Option, I figured that it wouldn't be noticeably heavier than a royalex boat. When I went to pick it up, I did notice the difference, but it wasjust a minor recalibration of my expectations. It's probably the same weight as my old XL-13, so I would expect it to be heavier than the Detonator.

Hope this helps,
Shep
chriscanoe
Pain Boater

Post by chriscanoe »

Given the choice between L'edge And Option, for a creekboat, mid-size water boat, very little playboating, do you have an opinion on which you would choose?
PBR ME ASAP!!
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

The l'edge and the option approach creek boating very effectively from different perspectives. The l'edge is a little bit drier and will flat turn a little more quickly than the option. On the other hand the option is still a very dry boat with amazing continuity and predictability with regards to stability and how it reacts over waves, holes and drops. It also will catch every micro eddy just like tbe l'edge but requires a different technique to do so. Your boat of choice in this case comes down to personal style. Another factor to consider is price. The option comes complete with float bags for considerably less money than the l'edge but the l'edge is more refined with regards to the quality of tbe fit and finish.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

ESP wrote:...but the l'edge is more refined with regards to the quality of the fit and finish.
Not a slam at all on Jeremy or his boats (as I was able to paddle the Option and it paddles just fine and dandy), but I would have to agree with Ed's statement here. Up close it is obvious that the Blackfly boats were made in a more "garage" environment, HOWEVER, I don't think it has any affect on the performance of the boat. I only bring this up as I would not want someone to buy one sight unseen and slam it for cosmetics, claiming they were unaware.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I don't disagree at all- and there's a reason my boats are cheaper. Them L'edges sure are purdy. But I'm learning a lot very quickly, and getting things figured out. I'll get better at this. I've made some mistakes (nothing major), but as they say, there's no sense in crying over spilled milk, and you've got to break a few eggs to make an omelet. Anatole France also said "Ignorance and error are necessary to life, like bread and water." Eventually I'll get it all worked out and either start making really nice canoes, or really good french toast.

I'm very thankful for those who are willing to overlook the cosmetic shortcomings and allow me to learn and grow and see where this all leads.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

craig-comparing the option to the detonator-they are pretty similar. option is a bit snappier into eddys. also holds a ferry angle more predictably. weight-negligable. speed-the option has an easier to maintain top speed, otherwise similar. but the option does this with a much shorter length. they are both very dry boats. but the option is PE, so it's not gonna fall apart in a year. oh yeah, anyone wanna buy an old worn out detonator?
Joe
rcgalwa
Pain Boater

Post by rcgalwa »

Thanks again Joe for letting me try your boat on the Tohickon. I didn't spend enough time in the boat to get a really good feel for it, but I have to say I liked it quite a bit. I can also say for whatever minor imperfections the hull may have I think after a couple days of creeking you would not be able to tell what is from rocks and what was a production flaw. I would not let this stop anyone from buying one, unless you plan on only paddling it on flatwater.
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Help me out guys,
I'm almost ready to order.

How's the Option compare to the Prelude and L'Edge.

I primarily paddle a Pyrahna Prelude that I remolded to get a flatter hull profile and hard chines. Love the boat, but find it a little too wet on some runs at my 190ish weight.

I spent a week paddling a L'Edge and found it maybe too stable - kinda dull and lifeless, not overly responsive, slow and heavy. Nice edge/chine profile, but possibly hindered by overall width and heft. Found it could carve nice, but took a more exagerrated effort than I'm use to.

Also had time in an Esquif Prelude - superior to a stock Pyrahna (hull seems flatter, more chine and slightly wider thwarts - I think) and some days in an Esquif Spanishfly - would be my choice if I could have only one boat.

Let's have some comparisons. Speed, accelleration, stability, manoeverability, edge, weight, etc

Thanks all,
miket
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

lots of info found at:
http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... comparison

You Wrote:
I spent a week paddling a L'Edge and found it maybe too stable - kinda dull and lifeless, not overly responsive, slow and heavy. Nice edge/chine profile, but possibly hindered by overall width and heft. Found it could carve nice, but took a more exagerrated effort than I'm use to.
lots of people are buying ledges. I think they are a stable platform that help you much more easily push into class 3/4. If you have more Nutz than skill I think its a good crutch design to help keep you upright while you're leaning how to handle canoeing low volume lines where you tend paddle the rock geology as much as the water. The option seems to provide the same stable platform with an added predictability as you transition from primary to secondary stability, a huge selling point.

The ledge might have been designed with the gnar in mind but I've heard few too many very good canoeist say that the ledge is not snappy and even the wow factor is found wanting at all class of water....this echoing your Dull comment. I discount happy owners a bit. If its new, its great. If you paid $1500-$1800 and its new it better be great and I think owners naturally just bring that positive energy to new ownership and postings. The fact of the matter is that no matter what the ledge looks like when dooley is driving it on Raven Fork, green narrows or whatever video the average Joe does not have the physic to drive that 70lbs pig like other canoes. At least that is my self doubt of skill and power bleeding through here.

At ALF a week ago I hiked 60 minutes for Elkmont Section with a viper 11 on my shoulder/head without sitting down for a break. I think I might have pulled that off with the option but the Ledge's 70 lbs alone almost takes that canoe completely off the market in my mind. I'm not sure any of the Ledge owners were happy in our 20-ish person group....but I can't really speak for them....it just didn't look happy at putin. Of course we all were smiling once on the water.

My 6 month exploration into my 1st PE canoe is weeding out the Ledge (pretty sure), I'm liking the option more but the Prelude keeps bubbling up to the top in my mind for weight, agility, fun, speed and even challenge. But I keep worrying about it ending up over my head vs under my butt so maybe I'm making an end around case for the stable platform of the Option. I'm gonna have to corner Joe and borrow his option. Poor Joe he's never gonna get to paddle that option this spring....friends come at a high price when you own the new hot boat. :wink:

how ironic my cboats classification is C guru. :lol: