Dagger Ocoee vs. Bell Ocoee

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Riverken
C Guru

Dagger Ocoee vs. Bell Ocoee

Post by Riverken »

I have a Bell Ocoee, built around 2008. Recently, I laid it down next to an old Dagger Ocoee and noticed that the Dagger model is wider. I don't know whether the Dagger is in its original configuration or was modified after it came off the shop floor, though.

Would anyone out there happen to have the beam measurement at the thwarts (or the midline) for the original Ocoee?

Thanks.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I bought one of the early Bell Ocoees and noticed the same thing. In fact, I contacted Bell and told them about the difference and they sent me some longer thwarts. But then, before putting them in, I outfitted and paddled the boat as it had been shipped to me. I liked it. It's probably a little faster than a Dagger Ocoee. And a tad less stable. A friend of mine, who had paddled Dagger Ocoees for years hated the Bell Ocoee. But I think that had a lot to do with what he was used to. I don't remember the exact measurements, but I think the Bell Ocoee is narrower by about 1 to 1.5 inches.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I will measure my Dagger Ocoee in the next day or so and get back to you.

Maybe a moot point from here on out since Bell Canoe is now out of business, but maybe someone will pick up the Ocoee mold.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Bell is kaput? Since when?

If they are, Esquif should take over the Ocoee mold. It's still a very current and well-loved design.
beach
Pain Boater

Post by beach »

Maximum interior width is 26", thwart length is 23" at the long point.

C it
Last edited by beach on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

milkman wrote:Bell is kaput? Since when?

If they are, Esquif should take over the Ocoee mold. It's still a very current and well-loved design.
Per a number of Bell dealers, Bell Canoe has ceased production as of a few weeks ago and is selling off existing inventory.

I am told that the parent company that owns Bell has been looking for a buyer for over a year and not found one to meet their terms.

Bell ceased making deliveries to dealers about a year or so ago. All boats had to be paid for on pickup, contrary to common industry practices.
the Big O
Pain Boater

Post by the Big O »

There you go Richard.........
Another model ........... Mohawk Ocoee ???
Have a great day, Ken
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

I read somewhere they were bought by another company last fall and were going to move production from minnesota to wisconsin.

So, maybe they are not completely gone...
SYOTR
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »