Ion Reviews

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Ion Reviews

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Anyone have any feedback after paddling the Ion? Any big paddlers give it a try?
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Yeah, after all the comments on the l'edge and option, Well, How's the ION??

does it surf
is it a good creeker
will it carry a 200lb paddler and still perform well
I'm gonna see if I can get a test drive soon
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

looks like a hull'va lotta fun to me :D
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Will
c

Where is the love?

Post by Will »

I agree, where is all the love for the Ion. The buzz on this little guy seems to be being overshadowed by the Option. This review doesn't count much since I paddled it on flat water which it was not intended for. But I am lucky enough to live next to the home of both the Option & Ion's prototype resting place. So... thanks to Starrkmoon I loaded both the Option & Ion on the car and headed down the hill to the river. 1st the Option, I agreed with others, seems like a very nice boat. Took a few minutes to get used to it's feeling, but quickly grew used to it. Again this is on completely flat water. 2nd pulled the Option to the bank and got in the Ion. Instant smiles, my 1st thought from jumping from the Option to Ion was ohh my god I need one of these. The Ion just makes you laugh, even on flat water it was that fun. It was much more stable than I thought it would be for such a short boat, I guess all the volume helps.

I would love to hear more of the Ion, I want one myself and if I am lucky enough to come across money it will be the 1st boat I would want to buy. It seems like it would be so much fun on moving water, and like no other boat out there right now. I wish I could write a review on the Ion in WW which it was designed for, but don't want to put any scratches on Jeremy's prototype. He was nice enough to let them rest in the Starrkmoon musuem so my flat water experiance was enough to wet my wistle and make me think of everything I can possibly sell to get the Ion.

Lets hear from those who have paddled it, and would be great to see some video's Jeremy. Keep up the good work.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Post by SlovenOC'er »

B-u-m-p. I can't believe the Ion sat on someone's roof racks all during ALF.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

It didn't. It got paddled some while it was there then it had to go home early when the guy who brought it left early. It would have gotten more water time had it stayed, but the schedule just didn't work out.
SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Smurf,

Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of that (notice how I cunningly bumped the thread again).
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

............ bump diddy bump
avlclimber
C Guru

Testeroo!

Post by avlclimber »

(Cross-posted in "Blackfly Option Review" thread --with some Pics of Option surfing.)

Ledge/Option/Ion testdrive

At the NOC Shootout this weekend, I was able to try out all three boats in rapid succession. I took the L'edge downriver for about an hour (class I-II), played and surfed the Option for about 40 minutes, and tested the Ion for 15.

The L'edge:

The L'edge did what it said it would and well. It was the decked model and was astoundingly dry. Short and rockered, I would come down on standing waves with a resounding thoomp! (very weird to adjust to the plastic-y noises) but each wave was shed away from the deck, and I bobbed right along. Stable and fun, I did not find the weight of even the decked model impossible, or noticeably different than my big ol' roylex Mohawks. It paddled just fine with a few inches of water, very stable, but a pig when half-full (demo boat had just tiny airbags, though) So stable i didn't even notice the "big rapid" on that section of river--floated right through.

The issue I noticed that I could not get over was the Ledge's inability to hang onto an eddy. This could easily be lack of skill or unknowledge of such short boats, but every time I snapped into an eddy, I would find myself drifting right out of the bottom of it, with no discernible change in downstream speed. this was disheartening, and i don't know why the boat did not respond differently to the river currents. I often could NOT paddle back up into the eddy, or it would at least take inordinate effort. A simple "attainment" (really just switching from one eddy to another part of the same across a small downstream current) was impossible.
This was a little disheartening, because eddy hopping is a true joy of my river experience. I feel all of these eddies and moves would have been easy, satisfying, and comfortable in my longer Viper 11.

The ledge did roll up pretty easy after some sidesurfing/swamping, though it took me a minute to figure out how to get the water out of the decked version. (turning the boat upside down should do it, right?)

The Option:

Jeremy let me demo the Option, and after the Ledge, I was already wondering if such a short boat was for me. I was not able to take it down river, but I did float a few hundred yards downstream through some waves enough to see that it seemed to handle similarly. It was still short enough that ferrying and chasing distant targets was tricky, but I was able to eek out some riverwide ferries with effort.

I did not experience the same problem catching eddies, but the environment was different. though not snappy or edgy, I could clearly eddy out, peel out, and catch mid-river surf waves.

Surfing is where the Option Really started to shine and prove predictable, fun, and generally awesome. The Ledge did not offer me the handling I immediately expected when pointed upstream, but surfing the Option was a blast!

I wish I'd had time to take 'er downstream, and I should have tried rolling it (so stable and dry, even when plunging the nose in there was no need to roll or brace big.)

The Ion:

Noticeably lighter. I only had a hair of time at this point, and wish I had more. My main thought was: if you're going to jump to a small plastic boat, why not go all the way!? I really expected to like the Ion a lot, especially since I'm a light paddler (130#)

It did not disappoint, but I did not get to try it on very large waves. It held a line in flat water, and I could paddle straight, ferrying was definitely more difficult, I could get VERY quickly up to speed to jump across eddy lines, peeling out, edges, stability all seemed predictable. Two strokes is all you need to be at (probably top speed) :)

My disappointment after the option is that I really could not surf it at all. perhaps I was just on the wrong size wave, or again, *don't know what I'm doing,* but I couldn't keep it from washing right out. maybe I need a tinier micro-wave, or to go straight to the gnar, but the glassy, curling wave the option loved did nothing for it. It was trickier, but not impossible to fight current to get on the wave, (tracked decently upstream, really) but nothing doing once you were there.

BEST UNSUNG FEATURE OF THE ION: It is so short that you can connect your offside strokes into your onside strokes WITHOUT TAKING YOUR PADDLE OUT OF THE WATER. This was really cool, and a great feature for trying to get that tiny boat anywhere against downstream current. Heck, this is just stupid fun, and you'll find yourself doing it for no reason.

I want to take both of the Blackfly boats downriver and play more. I liked the outfitting a lot. An issue with all three boats was comfortably carrying them-the molded plastic edge digs into your shoulder. Perhaps a foam fix or future design opportunity.

The Verdict:

I think If i were to purchase one of these three, the Option is the safest bet for making me a happy paddler, especially considering I would likely end up on creeks with it, as well as river running/playing.

But I am pretty tempted to "go all the way" and abandon anything resembling long boats and go for the 6 foot traditional canoe, the Ion. It's unique enough that it would at least be unique.
The Ledge is the "prettiest" boat (that matters! If we didn't care about form and beauty, we'd kayak.) and the decked version is dry enough it might be worth getting used to, even though the wooden gunnels on the open are lovely.

I am also tempted to give the Prelude and the Ocoee another look, because I really missed the ability of a longer, better tracking boat to "get me where I want to be" in the river.

--Nathan
(photos below if it worked)
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

I was also at the NOC Shootout and jumped in the Ion for a shorter time than avlclimber. Even though I only paddle small water in an open boat, I would have to say "ditto" to everything he said about it - stability, comfort, cross strokes (what a blast), atttempting to surf tiny wave. His review is excellent. Going from a longer boat to this was quite a change. It sorta reminds me of the hull of a LL CR250 spin disc. It's only an inch longer.

Would love to get in the Ion for a much longer paddle. It's just one of those boats that make you smile the first time you get in it. Great fun!! Thanks Jeremy!!
bcmcmillan
C Boater

I got to paddle it!

Post by bcmcmillan »

I got the opportunity to compete in it this weekend at the shootout and it took alittle getting used to but once I did I loved it! The only open boat that Ive paddled recently is the origional Blackfly but the Ion still preformed. I weigh about 180 and the boat surfed very well in the feature for me and I was also able to get some monster ends! I think if you want to river-run and play hard this is going to be a great boat for you. It was quite stable entering and exiting eddys, sidesurfing, carving on the wave, and spining. Overall I think Jeremy hit the nail on the head for a river-running playboat. Maybe Ill get some video up soon.
See you on the river
Brad
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Nice. Brad ripped it up on the wave. So did everyone else. I was just happy to stay on it. Did you manage to pull up anymore OC fotage from sunday?
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;