2011 North Branch of the Potomac Armada Apr. 30-May 1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adamin
CBoats.net Staff

2011 North Branch of the Potomac Armada Apr. 30-May 1

Post by adamin »

As previously announced, the North Branch of the Potomac Armada will be Friday April 30-Sunday May 1st. That Friday night is the first night the campground is open.

Tentative schedule:
Friday - we will likely be doing a little paddling the AM (TBD, possibly the Loop of the Lower Yough as in past years), visiting a few local shops (PAC will coordinate and announce, as he always does a GREAT job at it), the in the PM the 2011 Cquirt championships of the known universe(s), likely on the Cheat Narrows, but TBD depending on water levels.

Saturday - the main event - meet at 10 am AT THE TAKEOUT (new meeting place this year) to set shuttle for the North Branch of the Potomac. Dinner will be at Fox's Pizza den as always (yes, they will be warned!). This section is class II / II+ (maybe one III... maybe) with lots of places to play. Fun can be had for all skill levels.

Sunday - TBD. If the Savage happens to be running you can be sure they will be a contingent heading that way, otherwise trips will likely breakup to the north and south depending on how folks are headed home.

Most (all?) of us will be camping at the Robert W. Craig campground at Jennings Randolph Lake:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/marketing ... craig.html

Mike W. and I will be at site 77 (we typically cluster in the non-electric sites).

More will be posted in this thread as we get closer, but if anyone has any questions, or you want to let us know you'll be joining us, this is the thread to post in!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I'm bringing the following boats:
Woodie
Sith - full cut
Big EZ

If you want to paddle any or all of them, just ask.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'll have (hopefully):
Amoeba
Mentor
Wide Ride
Finkenmeister

If Sara joins me we'll have her ducky, the shredder, or both.

At this point I'm planning on bring a mold south for someone, so that is about all the room I have. If that changes, I'll likely toss the Sith in too, and will have plenty of room to bring down anything else someone would like to try.
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I want to try the Amoeba! I've been eyeing that design for a couple of years.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

me too!

I'm hoping to pick it up before I head down, but if that doesn't work out I'll be outfitting it Thursday night / Friday morning....
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Okay sincethe date is set how do folks want to work the upcoming Armada and Cquirt?

Do we...

o visit PS Composite Sat ... Some can be bored with this.... but its a good place to meet and we get our trophy from Paul S. If we visit I need to request a trophy asap.

o are there other side trips folks are interested in IR, Skirt Works, Polor Paddles, etc.?

o What rivers do we paddle?
Friday - AM - Loop (LY), PM - Cheat Narrow (Cquirt) and / or narrows / gorge, Sat: NBofP,
Sun: ??? ASCI, others (please lord .. rain for the Savage).

o Mike W has volunteered to notifed Fox's as to Sat night.

o Where to camp (Randolph Jennings)?

o Any manufactures want to donate swag?

Thoughts?
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I always like to stop by PS Composites, but I don't want to be a drag on them either, so either way is fine by me.

I would like to stop by IR and "shop"

I would be interested in checking out Polar Paddles, if he is who I think he is (apprenticed under Keith?)
Keep the C!
Adam
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I will be in the area but won't be attending the events this year. I'm going to be trying some canoe camping down in Smoke Hole that weekend. I've had this ole Berry end hole C2 sitting in the rack for years waiting for an opportunity to take it on a trip and this year it is happening.

Till next
Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I just reserved my site (#80). (edit) Kneal is crashing on my site.

I'm planning on bringing Demos of the Blackfly, Ion, and Option. I also have C-1's set up of the Pyranha Molan and Karnali, but I'll probably only bring those by special request and if I'm not too loaded down with other boats.
Last edited by RodeoClown on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

I'll be there for the NBP saturday (and bringing a boat for Adam). Going to paddle my new (to me) Spark.

For those of use that are up in years and can't remember things, could we get a refresher on directions to the take out?

Thanks
Jim
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

A bit more info... and more to come later:

Camping I've already noted.

The section we are running is from below the Jennings Randolph Dam to Luke, MD (just above where the Savage comes in).

To get to the takeout: After passing Savage River Rd you will see a brick building on your RIGHT - this is where we've met in the past. Continue up and take your next LEFT which takes you down near the water treatment plant (should be lots of cars / trucks with boats driving in and out). I believe it is Hamill Ave to Owens Ave:

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=39.476 ... rt%2C%20md

There is food and groceries in Westernport, some folks like to get breakfast there, a lot of us just eat something at the campground, drop boats at the put in, then head down to the take out to leave a car and bring other folks back up who are leaving cars at the take out. For folks camping Friday night a lot of this will get worked out then / Saturday morning.

All are welcome, I've got a two good friends of mine that prefer two blades coming down this year even.

If you think you can join us, post here so we have a rough "roll call" and estimate for dinner at Fox's Pizza Sat. night (they usually give us our own room).
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Okay folks the timeframe is coming up for the events (Cquirt 4/29 and Armada 4/30-5/1) so who is coming?

What side trips are folks interested in - IR? Skirtworks? PolarPaddles? and of course PS Composites?

So WHO IS IN?
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

DIRECTIONS
Here are some directions:

From Ohiopyle to Savage River State Forest:
Go east on Rt. 40 until you get back on I-68 east. Take the Rt. 219 north exit, number 22 (?), turn right onto Chestnut Ridge Rd. and go 2 1/2 miles, turn left onto New Germany Rd. and go 5 miles, turn left onto Big Run Rd. and go 5 miles, turn left onto Savage River Rd. , then you will come upon the park. After you cross the first bridge past the dam, the usual campground will be on your left. It is essentially a grassy strip off of the road.

From Savage River State Forest to Bloomington:
Go east (downriver) on Savage River Rd. for 10 1/2 miles and turn left when you get to the end. You will see a building on your left before you cross back over the confluence of the Savage and NB Potomac. Rendezvous there and set shuttle at the designate takeout for the NB Potomac (other c-boaters will tell you where that is).

Going west on I-68 to Bloomington:
Take the Rt 220 south/Greene St exit (no. 42?) and continue on Rt. 220 south for over 18 miles, turn slight left onto Crooks Ave. and go 3/4 mile, turn right onto Rt. 135/westernport Rd and follow Rt. 135 west for about 7 miles. Follow Rt. 135 as it turns left and crosses the confluence of the Savage River and NB Potomac. Look for the building on the right. If you are looking for the road to the campground, continue past building and take the first right onto Savage River Rd.
No Cquirt for me. No Friday paddle for me--I'll see y'all at the campground. I'm in for Saturday Armada and am "negotiating" (read: pleading, begging, fussing, whining, and making a big nuisance of myself at home) for a Sunday paddle. ASCI or anything in the area that is running is fine with me (if I win in my negotiations).
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

Looks like I'm in. Mikey B from Michigan might be coming with. Steve "Sparky" from Ontario says he's in too.

I'm game for any of the visits.

I'll be bringing the Mentor, of course ;) and couple K-squirts.

Mick
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Great! I'll be very curious to see if the Savage runs Sunday... looks like a lot of rain in the forecast the next week or so....

See y'all in 10 days or so!
Keep the C!
Adam