OC2's

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

OC2's

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Out of the Mad River and Mohawk ranges, which are the best OC2's and do Esquif have any stand-out boats which are worth extra effort and money over the other two...

This is to inform my long range "Wants list" rather than an immediate purchasing decision.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. Assuming you want to paddle whitewater and make some moves the MRC Caption or the Mohawk Probe 14 would probably be your best bet.

If you wanted something you could put a small family into or for river tripping on Class I - Class III rivers an MRC Legend 16 or Mohawk XL 15 might suit better.
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

For WW playing/running, I realy like our Nexxus, so far it is the best boat I've tryed.... I paddled the Blast, but it was to wet for our weight. I realy liked the Clipper Merganzer, but I wanted something shorter. And I also tryed the Vertige X, but I found it to "soft/fleemsy" and to big.

I never add a chance in any tandem from mohawk... And MRC is out of question for me, to much trouble with the newer boats... and the caption, is not the same as it use to be, not the same shape or something weird...
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

People have been talking up the Esquif Blast on other threads. I paddled with a couple this weekend that had a Mohawk Probe 14, and they were making some good moves (although a novice bow paddled and only class II water, so that recommendation depends on your paddling partner and difficulty interests)

Shep
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

The Probe 14 is a very capable playboat. Like the Blast, it's better for lighter and more experienced teams.
FURZTROCKEN!
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

If the Blast or Probe is too small, the Vertige-X (14'+) is quite serviceable -- predictable and solid enough for noobies, but surfs well.

My all-time fave is the Clipper Merganser. At 15'+, it's big enough for the biggest team, or to carry camping gear, but still lively as a playboat. And when you can't attain a big surf wave in your little OC-1, you can glide onto it paddling the Merganser in a solo position, then you can stand up while you surf. It's composite, but WCK builds a pretty solid boat.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Ideally I'm looking for the shortest, most forgiving boat that will take a 165lb-ish bow and 200lb-ish stern paddler.

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Ideally I'm looking for the shortest, most forgiving boat that will take a 165lb-ish bow and 200lb-ish stern paddler.
It sounds like you want a Caption.
FURZTROCKEN!
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

probe 14 sounds like it meets your requirements
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
bambam
C Guru

Post by bambam »

I love our Esquif Blast. A bit of an oxymoron but it's an OC-2 creeker. It's an eddy hopping machine. However, we tip the scales at maybe 335 combined and we are pushing it at that. (Thanks for not stating weights in "stones".)

The Blast is a wet ride in general for us and I'm really working hard in the stern on bigger water.

Capers have been fun for us too. Not so maneuverable but forgiving and stable. Captions do most things better with the exception of front surfing. The water just pours in over the gunnels behind the bow saddle and into my lap. Small price to pay for an otherwise good boat.

Happy hunting,

Ken
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

New tandem boat coming from Millbrook. Sorry but it's NOT plastic. The BANDIT, 13.5' long, based off the PROWLER.
Thanks for reading.

JKaz
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Pictures Kaz, we want Pictures!

Any chance you could bring one to the North Branch Armada?
Keep the C!
Adam
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Yukon and I paddled Blasts in Mexico with novice partners.
Yukon's load probably about 350lbs. Mine a bit lighter.
We both loved the boat, I think it's the best tandem out there (though I haven't tried Lappie's Nexus).

My opinion does vary a bit from others.
First off - I'm a pretty solid solo paddler. But my tandem time has been quite limited in recent years. In the past it's been solid, but nothing phenomenal.
I didn't find the Blast to be that "advanced" a boat. I think a pair of intermediates could be comfortable in it. A strong paddler could be fine with a beginner.
There may be more stable boats, but the Blast always felt solid and more importantly predictable. My partner was one week a season paddler (though she had taken a YUKAN Canoe course).
We were immediately comfortable and confident in the boat. On the second day she was trading to the stern. Often we were at or near the limit of difficulty I had previously tandemed with an experienced partner.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

How do the smaller boats fair, 14' is pretty big (to someone who managed to find a rapid which was too constricted to fit a prelude through).

Would a Probe 13, or XL 13 be a feasible option?

Equally would an Outrage X outfitted as a tandem work out?

ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Equally would an Outrage X outfitted as a tandem work out?
Here is a page of an article that was posted on-line awhile back with an Outrage X fitted out as a tandem. I thought it was pretty cool.

dave