Plastic Welding Compatibility

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Plastic Welding Compatibility

Post by SlovenOC'er »

This post is going to reveal that I didn't do very well in college chemistry. I have tracked down a dead kayak, 5(?) year old Pyranha. I plan to cut it up for hull reinforcement and save some scraps in case I need to weld cracks on plastic boats.

I have a Pyranha Fly of about the same vintage and a new L edge as well as a Jackson butt boat. I'm aware that cross linked, linear, etc. plastics are used on different boats. My question is, are these different plastics compatible when used for welding repairs? What plastic is used in the L edges?
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Jackson are the only people using Crosslink (which requires special preparation, and good temp control to weld; meaning that it's not within the relm of normal DIY welding).

Otherwise the plastic should all be relatively compatable.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

if you're unsure you can always email the manufacturer. Include the serial numbers of the boats in question. I have done this many times before just to sure. Some older boats are cross-linked too like the Daggers. Some manufacturers, if you ask nicely, will also mail you scrap plastic, if you want to match color and make sure you have the right filler for a weld.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Call 1-800-852-9257 and tell them what color you need and they will send you brand new, fresh plastic meant for welding boats.... FOR FREE. Yes, you read that right. No, you will not be 'Rick Rolled" if you call and they are really cool. Its a tried and true source for plastic used to weld. I think they offer different types too- formed into rods or in pucks.

ENJOY!