Encore, Impulse, Rival, & Viper 11 Help

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Paddling Moose
c

Encore, Impulse, Rival, & Viper 11 Help

Post by Paddling Moose »

I’m looking to purchase an OC1 for something that will make my local runs more challenging (Class II-III Western Rockies). I have extensive K1, rafting, expedition river canoeing, and guiding experience, so I’m not new to the river, but a newbie to ww canoeing. My options for used boats from friends & etc are:

Encore, Impulse, Rival, & Viper 11 (Starting in order of cheapest-highest)

I’m 6’2” and weight 200# - 220#. Will be learning to roll with it and get a season or two out of it, before upgrading to a more advanced design. I don’t want something too advanced to grow into; I’m a ski instructor and often see folks buy advanced skis to learn on so they don’t have to upgrade later, but these advanced skis really impede their learning curve. I don’t want to make the same mistake on my OC1 either!

I’ll be on Western style of rivers doing eddy hoping in rock gardens to big waves and big water; I’ll do a little playing, but mainly river running.

I would appreciate your thoughts (pros & cons) on the four available models for me to learn with and my intended use?

Thanks!!!
roaring-riverman
C Boater

The Encore would probably be the best intro boat, especially

Post by roaring-riverman »

considering your size. It's a classic that still has some fans so you could probably get rid of it easily when you outgrow it. Also, it makes a good solo fishing and canoe-camping boat should you need that in the future. On the other end of the spectrum is the Viper 11, the most nimble and aggressive of the bunch you listed. It would likely be challenging for you to start out in, but great once you get comfortable. The Impulse is surely the most stable and forgiving, but you're severely limited with not much room to grow. It's more for a true green newbie. You'd outgrow it in a month. I don't know much about the Rival. Someone else will surely weigh in on that one. Good luck!
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I have owned an Impulse and still own a Viper 11 and an Encore. I have paddled a Rival, but not extensively.

The Impulse is predictable and dry, but less nimble and playful than the other three. It is also significantly harder to roll, in my opinion.

The Encore is a great old design. Big and long by today's standards but relatively easy to roll and a good boat for larger paddlers.

The Viper 11 is a good boat for technical water, spins quickly, and rolls pretty well. It is a bit edgy (although less so than the Viper 12 or the Ocoee) which can give some people trouble initially.

The Rival is another good design and quite predictable and well-mannered, geared somewhat for a smaller paddler than the Encore.

If you really want to learn to roll in this boat, I might steer clear of the Impulse. Of the other three, the Encore would probably be the driest in big waves, the Rival and Viper 11 a bit more nimble with the Viper being edgy and the Rival not so. You might be toward the upper weight limit for the Rival and Viper 11.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

I haven't owned an Impulse. I love the Rival, Viper, and Encore. I weigh 160. If I were 210 lbs, wanted to paddle some big water, and had a chance to pick up one for little cash, I grab that Encore.
SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Post by SlovenOC'er »

We are close in size and I had an Encore for some time. Nice big water boat and predictable and rolls well without being a pig. I haven't paddled the other 3, but if you are seriously looking at the Viper, I'd consider an Ocoee as well if you come across one.
mattm
C Guru

encore

Post by mattm »

have 2 Encores for my son and I , both 210 pounds.Got mine set up cushy with padded everything, and I can and have spent 7 hours in it w/o an issue. Love those boats. Basically i agree with everything posted above.
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

What type of K1's did you paddle? If you like playboats with edges in your K1's I would get the Viper 11.

When I was looking for my first OC1 a little over a year ago I went with the Probe 12 over the Viper or Ocoee because I was worried about getting something too edgy. I found that being used to edges from kayaking made it easy to adapt to edgier canoe designs than what most new canoers would normally be comfortable paddling. It wasn't long before I started to miss having a planing hull.

Kyle
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

A little bit of advice here...

So long as you're comitted to learning to roll whatever boat you buy; you can't really buy too advanced a boat to learn OC1 in... because you can always recover from a capsize.

This is at odds with Skiing (or Biking or Cimbing), where as soon as you lose control you have to stop and pick up the pieces.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Moose- where are you located? I'm in Utah and have a Viper for sale. PM me if you are interested
Paddling Moose
c

Post by Paddling Moose »

Smurfwarrior wrote:Moose- where are you located? I'm in Utah and have a Viper for sale. PM me if you are interested
Smurf,

We've already been in contact and your Viper is the one I'm referring to above already. I had a few other boat options fall out of the tree after shacking the tree a little among our fellow boater friends. I'm trying to decide which one would be best for me.

FYI, did look at your facebook page and noticed we have some mutual paddling friends!

Cheers!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Very Cool! Small world!
Paddling Moose
c

Post by Paddling Moose »

I'll call you in a few minutes
pyc1
C Boater

Post by pyc1 »

Another vote for the Encore. The oldest design, but it's superb in big waves. Also given your size and the fact that it's the cheapest, it's the obvious choice.