DIY breakdown paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

busterblue
CBoats Addict

DIY breakdown paddle

Post by busterblue »

I want to convert my spare paddle to a breakdown so that it fits in my smaller boat. These are the only ferrules that I've found online:
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/mi ... /index.htm

Unfortunately, the diameter of the biggest one (stainless steel) is a hair too small for my paddle. Does anyone know of a different supplier? Are there any other clever ways to convert a paddle?

This is meant as a backup only. In case my primary paddle breaks or is lost on the river.
Mike Moody
c

Post by Mike Moody »

All you need is the little clips then go get a machinist to turn a piece of stainless or aluminum tube or pipe to the right diameter and drill thr hole for the little spring clips.
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

You could wrap a layer of glass around it to make it fit and with epoxy, everything should work!! If there is not anought place for the glass, than GFlex should take care of the minut gap.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

What type of paddle is it?

I just converted a NRS canoe paddle for $10. I bought a piece of a mop from a marine supply store to cannibalize the spring clip in it for $6 (I couldn't find the spring clip locally), and a $4 section of galvanized steel pipe.

I JB Welded the pipe section inside the paddle shaft, fitted the two halfs together, and drilled the hole for the spring clip.

Kyle
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

You could wrap a layer of glass around it to make it fit and with epoxy, everything should work!! If there is not anought place for the glass, than GFlex should take care of the minut gap.
I didn't explain very well. The ferrule needs to slip over the outside of the paddle shaft. But the ferrule is too narrow. It has a 1 3/16 inner diameter. My paddle shaft is 1 1/4 in the outer diameter. So I'd need to magically stretch the ferrule or constrict the paddle.
What type of paddle is it?
It is an inexpensive plastic Robson paddle. I bought it for $20 or something. I like the idea of cannibalizing a spring clip. I'll pay a visit to the marine supply store...
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

if your runs are all easy, and easy to walk out from, I guess that telescoping thing is ok.. But I think a weak paddle is kind of dangerous.
I wouldn't bother to carry a paddle that wasn't as dependable and usable as my primary paddle.

edit: sorry, guess I didn't look close enough at the link.
I thought it was this here fine paddle. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... nstand-20/
Larry
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Larry Horne wrote:if your runs are all easy, and easy to walk out from, I guess that telescoping thing is ok.. But I think a weak paddle is kind of dangerous.
I wouldn't bother to carry a paddle that wasn't as dependable and usable as my primary paddle.

edit: sorry, guess I didn't look close enough at the link.
I thought it was this here fine paddle. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... nstand-20/
it does have boat hook, though.
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Re: DIY breakdown paddle

Post by busterblue »

Thread resurrection.

So now all I want is a short length of aluminum tubing with an OUTER diameter of 1.062".

Couldn't find it on http://www.mcmaster.com. Any suggestions?
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

WA, BC, YT, MB, CA, what's with the western interest in frankenpaddles?

For mine, a bought a cheap breakdown paddle just for the matching diameters. I heated & easily popped off the super cheap plastic blade and I glued on an olde Norse blade, I replaced the t-grip too. I also added a second button-hole-popper thing, to keep it from being jiggly and from me accidently "opening" my paddle. if REI or somewhere like that has a repair/rental desk that deals with avalanche shovels, they may sell 'em or just give you one of of those springy buttons.

As for finding matching diameters, I'm not sure beyond just Googling etc., that's whay I started with the shaft and changed everything else.

Pat.
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Button hole popper thing? Why, sir, I'm sure you intended to write "Quick-Release Button Connector for Telescoping Tubing." I found one those after a long quest inside a magic volcano. Just looking for the tubing now. Maybe I'll look at a cheap breakdown to cannibalize. Thanks for the tip!