Tom Foster's Solo Open Whitewater Canoeing

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Fleetwalker
C Boater

Tom Foster's Solo Open Whitewater Canoeing

Post by Fleetwalker »

I was thinking about picking up this video. I'm an intermediate paddler doing Class III or less. At this point, I run rivers rather than play in them, and correspondingly I paddle a big open boat rather than a playboat. Would I still find it useful? How about the companion book, Catch Every Eddy Surf Every Wave?

My current favorite paddling instruction books are Path/Song/Thrill of the Paddle if that helps any.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

You may also want to consider Kent Ford's videos:

http://www.performancevideo.com/kent_ford

coming to an armada, tracking down paddlers near you, or one of the great instructors that frequent the board (if you let us know where you are they may be in your area, or passing through).

I'm mostly self-taught, as there aren't many other C1 paddlers around here... BUT I have taken a few lessons and learning a tremendous amount from Davey Hearn, Beth Kennedy, Kent Ford, and many other random folks over the years:)
Keep the C!
Adam
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

The Tom Foster video is not about play-boating in short boats. It's a great video for long boats. It's about using the hull and working the currents. (surfing, carving, etc...) It and the book will both be good purchases.

Hope this helps,
Shep
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I found Tom's video to be pretty awesome. It especially helped me to control the boat without constantly relying on the pry.
I also have the companion book. It'sm a good book but I found that it would be more beneficial for a newer paddler.

Jim
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

It has been quite a few years since I read the book, but I remember it being helpful. I would start with the video, and if you find it helpful to your style of paddling, then consider getting the book, unless you get a big discount by getting both.

I have watched the DVD quite a few times, as well as Tom's earlier instructional video "Whitewater Bound". That earlier video was on VHS tape and I don't believe it was ever released on DVD. It was a stroke instructional video filmed entirely on flatwater.

Tom's instructional emphasis has long been on exercising control from the forward quarters as much as possible by "carving circles" and utilizing this technique to facilitate eddy turns and ferries. He also discusses use of sideslips. These are techniques that can be applied by river runners to reduce dependency on stern correction stokes (pries, draws, rudders) to control the boat, as Jim says.
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

i would recommend both the book and the video. i found them both to be very helpful. the book has good rolling instruction, the video has lots of great technique instruction, and he's got a yankee accent!

they are both about getting the most out of the river, and getting to where you want to be. they aren't about 'playboating' the way many buttboaters mean it, doing silly tricks all day.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
Ben T
c

catch every eddy, surf every wave

Post by Ben T »

Tom is a masterful canoeist. I try to emulate his style. If you're in a long boat start paddling in circles like Tom. paddling will become even more fun.