Going upside down over cascades in OC-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

keez
C Guru

tuck

Post by keez »

My vote is for staying upright first.
Tuck if you mess-up.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:James - I watched that clip over and over again when you originally posted it to ur FB months ago. Then I studied the L'edges design very closely to see how the boat could have possibly resurfaced that perfectly. I was convinced that it came up like that because of the lip of the tumblehome - i figured it guided the boat in and out of the water in an 'arc' like fashion.

Either way - my thoughts are the same now as they were back then... that is the most badass 'black attack' (as Mick had called it)... that I had ever seen.
"trade secrets" but here's a hint... I studied this video frame by frame for months on end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwJOEJzEygk

it really sucks that we had to cut up the b&w prototype... :(
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
funkidreadz
C Guru

Post by funkidreadz »

My vote is for staying upright first.
Tuck if you mess-up.
Tucking is like diving, not tucking is like belly flopping, if you don't tuck you land face first from how ever many metres, it IS going to hurt.

Also landing upright in the boat increases your resistance when you land, you are less likely to dive down and away from the drop and more likely to stay in the impact zone and get trashed about.

My vote is to scout, plan, line up over the lip and tuck before landing, or boof the hades out of it!

Paddle safe

James
PS
Still not enough water to film a horizontal L'Edge "water" boof, gutted!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:Phil - I have a second thwart in front of my bulkhead(in addition to the ones that go over the back and front of the bulkhead) - It was put there to add extra bomberness - Think I should take it out? to allow for a better tuck n plug?
Tommy - it's so hard to tuck up inside - these small boats - with air bags and lacing, that I'd not worry too much.... unless the additional thwart was at face level when tucking.