Praise for the Zoom...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

roaring-riverman
C Boater

Praise for the Zoom...

Post by roaring-riverman »

Paddled a borrowed Esquif Zoom Saturday and Sunday on the Tellico since my Prelude's still busted up from ALF. Wow! That's a fun little boat. I'm surprised it's not more popular. I suppose the reason is that it's royalex and wears too quickly, especially with such hard chines. Based solely on performance, what's the general opinion on that boat? I loved it.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I had a short test in it recently at the Open Canoe Festival in France. Ok, on an easy class II with really low water. Comparison is with the prelude.
And I liked it, it's fast, really fast for such a short canoe. And really stable in comparison to the prelude, but yet still very responsive. Also a rather easy roll, except that I tended to tip it over to the offside again after the roll :roll:

For me the major disadvantage is the material. The type of paddling you take out this kind of canoes is rather asking for PE then for royalex. But next to that I think it's a really high performance design!
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Few paddlers can really master the edges of that boat without turning it into a wooZ but I've seen awesome moves been thrown out of them. Fast and quick on a turn for sure. Very square-bottomed.

Yeah and I think that PE would make this one such a heavy boat it would just kill a big part of its quality. Royalex is still there as a good compromise between PE and composite boats for "medium" rock banging.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

There are some good sequences of an excellent paddler in a Zoom in this video that I just posted: http://youtu.be/_MZW3Gf8ILo