Moving to NY from GA

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hankrankin
C Guru

Moving to NY from GA

Post by hankrankin »

I dont know if this post belongs in the trip planning forum or what not, but either way... I'm moving to the rochester area of NY in june, I'm coming from GA. Needless to say i dont know any boaters up in that part of the country, and im looking for some people to show me down some of NY's finest creeks and rivers. I paddle solid IV down here in the southeast with a couple borderline V, but i am not above paddling fun class II-III. Any of yall in the NY, VT, PENN, CAN or nearby areas who wanna show a Southeast boater the ways of the North, give me a holler. Trying to get to the Ottawa this summer too. See yall in June :lol:
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Lived in the Rochester area a bit when I was a kid, it's great, and the paddling isn't half bad. Locally you'll have Lock 32, a good park and play (and pay unfortunately) place. You're about an hour away from the Salmon and the Letchworth Gorge, and 1.5 or so hours from the Black.

As for who to talk to, I'm not sure if Pack Paddle and Ski still run whitewater trips, but the guys there should know which locals are at that level.
Chris Loomis
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

I do some boating in NE PA, there's a bunch of good creeks there plus regular releases on the lehigh river
Joe
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

The VT Paddlers club is full of super friendly people. Not a lot of paddling most of the year, but the spring snow melt season sets off some GREAT hard boating. Search Vimeo for the Blisstick New Haven Open for a good look at the New Haven Ledges run.

Enjoy the new neighborhood!

Shep
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Try to hook up with "dem Cook Boys", Mike and Jesse Cook. They're somewhere around western NY.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Im in PA too paddle in pocono area a bunch chillin on easy class 3 with the ankle this summer.
might wanna give NPMB.com a holler got as good mess board and some NY Canoers on there.

I know of at least one guy, not to far from you that, used to canoe.
Proud Yankee
adkSara
C Guru

Post by adkSara »

You'll have to connect with Adam and have him take you down the Hudson Gorge. We're up near Lake George and are happy to show you some rivers around here.
adkSara
madmike
C Guru

FLOW

Post by madmike »

Finger Lakes Ontario Watershed

www.flowpaddlers.org

Cataragus Creek
Gennessee River
Flint Creek
Salmon River
Moose River
Fish Creek.
hankrankin
C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

sweet! looks like i got plenty of people to get in contact with now, ya know i dont care what people say about yall northern folks, y'all are alright :D I cant wait to do some boating with everybody. thanks
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

In your new local area there are a lot of I -IIs. IF you can drive 2 hrs the class creeps up.
Some stout stuff is within a days drive.
When you get settled let us know what kind of plans you have.
Also plan to get a snow sliding device... real close to some very nice hills.
;-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Crash
C Boater

ZVPC

Post by Crash »

check out zoarvalley padleing club yahoo groups + or call me. I live on the catt.Mark(716)592-3093
C-Ya+Ride Safe
Crash
Karl M. Nelson
c

Post by Karl M. Nelson »

It has been 150 years since any Yankees have burned a Southern city, so you should be safe.

If you listen fast enough, you might be able to understand them.

When they ask: What kind of soda do you want?", what they mean is: What kind of Coke are you drinking?

When they speak about fixing, they mean repairing. They are not fixin' to go any where or do any thing.

It is a long way to really good barbecue. Dinosaur Barbecue in Syracuse is OK.

You can't get good iced tea.

You can't get grits.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Karl M. Nelson wrote: You can't get grits.
Like many other things, you can get them, but you just need to make them yourself. The good news is that then Northerners are really impressed because they "never knew grits were so good."

:wink:
Shep
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Karl M. Nelson wrote: It is a long way to really good barbecue. Dinosaur Barbecue in Syracuse is OK.
Dinosaur's is also in Rochester. One of the best restaurants in the city if you ask me, and there are plenty of good eats up there.
Chris Loomis
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

If you wanna see what northern boating is all about - check out the Beaverfest in NY during September. If you are a class V guy, the Racquette release is that weekend too. It's good stuff.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com