PFD suggestions....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Shep wrote:I think the web-tow is a dangerous length. Too long to reach the carabiner when you let it out behind you, too short to actually tow anything. Some people have complained that it was difficult to keep in the side-pocket, but a small stopper knot close to the O-ring side kept it from ever coming out on me.

I keep my rescue knife inside the front pocket, and try to keep food in the side pockets (too awkward to reach in a hurry.)

Shep
Personally I think all cowstails and [especially] towlines are dangerous...

The person for whom the utility outweights the risks is very rare indeed; yet lots of people have them because they think "oh that's a good idea" or "john doe who taught me to paddle used one, I better use one too now that I'm a good paddler."

But now we're starting to divert the topic.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Ordered a blue Green jacket... if that makes sense.... :-) Price was a sticking point at first but then I figured its cheap than search and rescue and related pain and suffering.

Thanks folks.

I had looked / checked out the others and liked the fit of this one second best. Guess I now have to study up on the bells and whistles to keep myself safe once I put it on.

PS: As for High floatation .. I agree Canoest are overlooked. I have a Patagucci Rio Grande for raft work but its not as comfortable in a canoe.
Last edited by PAC on Tue May 24, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
philinasheville
C Guru

Greenjacket on sale at NRS 20% off (MORE)

Post by philinasheville »

just noticed this on the back page of my May 2011 catelog. I personally have the Kokotat Ronin Pro and love it. Best PFD i've had.

Phil
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I have the older astral green jacket it is very comfy and like it a lot, but I would like something a little more flat chested.

Between the ronin pro and astral green, which one is less bulky in the chest?
Larry
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Larry Horne wrote:I have the older astral green jacket it is very comfy and like it a lot, but I would like something a little more flat chested.

Generally speaking; they're about equal, but the Ronin becomes much bulkier once you start filling the pockets

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Larry Horne wrote:I have the older astral green jacket it is very comfy and like it a lot, but I would like something a little more flat chested.

has it changed?

That's what I didn't like about it, everything was on your chest. On me it had a way up high feeling. I was all stoked to buy one, until trying it on... Much like buying a pair of shoes, each jacket is going to fit differently (like someone's already mentioned - in this thread) .
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    Larry Horne
    C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

my bad.
    I don't have the green jacket. What I have is the astral 300 rescue vest.
    Larry
    TheKrikkitWars
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

philcanoe wrote:has it changed?
    No, I do know what you mean, they do come up WAAAAAY small.
    I had to get the XL-XXL size to fit my torso length right (I'm usually an L or occasionally M).

hankrankin
    C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

NRS ninja for play

Astral aquavest for creek (though im about to get a Green Jacket)
    philcanoe
    C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Joshua - Maybe being so small, is why it would appear that to ride high, and not be very long.
      ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
      2opnboat1
      Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I really like my Kokatat Retrofit I dont know ig they even make them anymore. But it offers good coverage and a pretty high float.
      Richard Guin
      Lazy good for nothing slacker
      griffen_williams
      C Guru

extrasport pro creeker

Post by griffen_williams »

I really like my extrasport pro creeker. These only problem that I see is that there is no pocket to store a pig tail and only a small one in the front. The pig tail quick release strap never bothered me when I wore one as a kayker. As a c1 it just seems to crazy to try and tow something.
      GW
      Mike Gardner
      Pain Boater

Post by Mike Gardner »

An overlooked company is MTi. Excellent products at a great price and just recently bought by Gordon and Lily, two of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. For big water the 26# Big Bouy/or Patriot rescue vest are my favorites. Other times I use Stohlquist
      jharris
      C Boater

Post by jharris »

I own a Ronin Pro but would suggest the Green Jacket from when I've borrowed and used them briefly. The gear (knife etc) clips on the front are more easily accessible, the back pockets for holding a tow harness are a really good idea, and at least one version had some nice lined hand warmer pockets in the front (not sure if the newest ones do). The rescue harness on the Ronin feels very substantial (2" webbing as opposed to 1") but in terms of features the Green jacket is excellent, and I'd guess the smaller rescue belt of the green jacket does its job perfectly well and reliably anyways...
      TonyB
      CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Dont Like the Greenvest. Dont think it floats enough and it's got to many doo-dads that arnt really worth it.
      I do like the out of the way pockets, need other vests to start doing that.

Im using an MTI patriot and for as bulky as it looks it gives lots of mobility. Big pockets on the front can get in the way of a raft reentry and such. I usually keep a beer in there so it can be emptied quickly if need be.
      Proud Yankee