Who knows their knots and hitches?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RapidMediaTVGuy
C Boater

Who knows their knots and hitches?

Post by RapidMediaTVGuy »

So we ran an article in the latest Canoeroots Magazine about how to tie a taut line hitch - http://www.canoerootsmag.com/blogs/skil ... -tied.html and got a letter telling us it's wrong (and that any Boy Scout would know that). So we are still scratching our heads trying to figure out what about it isn't right? If anyone (especially if you were a Boy Scout) can let us know if it is wrong and how to fix it that would be great.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Close but I think the photo might be missing the last hitch below on the line.... examples would be....
http://www.scouttroop.org/ny/bsa/544/ht ... hitch.html
or
http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Tautline.html

But since the knots not finished (yes a pun) and pulled tight / in place there might be more to the process! :-)

I also think there is a name for the knot you show, and believe it will hold, I just can't remember the name.
Last edited by PAC on Wed May 25, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

My dad is an Eagle Scout, and that is how he taught me to tie a taut line hitch. I use the knot all the time. I drew how I tie it - looks like yours:

Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

PAC is correct, it is not a tautline, but it is on the way to being one. One more turn and it is there.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

PAC wrote:Close but I think the photo might be missing the last hitch below on the line.... examples would be....
http://www.scouttroop.org/ny/bsa/544/ht ... hitch.html
or
http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Tautline.html

But since the knots not finished (yes a pun) and pulled tight / in place there might be more to the process! :-)

I also think there is a name for the knot you show, and believe it will hold, I can remember the name.
Hmmm, the last hitch on those sites is reversed from the direction of my knot and CanoeRoots' knot. I go CCW for the first two loops then CW for the last loop. The scout links show CCW for all three loops.

So is my first drawing wrong and this one right?

Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
doomroller
c

Post by doomroller »

All of the loops should be going the same direction (CL or CCL).
RapidMediaTVGuy
C Boater

So I'm still confused....

Post by RapidMediaTVGuy »

and it doesn't sound like I'm the only one.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I don't think it matters if the last half hitch goes clockwise or counterclockwise. You can use two half-hitches to end the taut line, or just one. If you want, you can apply three turns at the start instead of two.

The taut line is not all that secure, however. The trucker's hitch has pretty much replaced it. I still use a taut line to secure excess line if I have a lot left over after tying a trucker's hitch, though.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Agree with Peter... I only use that hitch for guide lines on tents.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I've been canoeing and camping since I was kid and I cannot recall using knots other than a trucker's hitch and a bowline/figure 8, with the occasional exception of a timber hitch to keep food away from da bears.

I learned a ton of knots as I started climbing, and I haven't really ever needed them outside of climbing. Oh wait, the double fisherman's is good to get two ropes together, but that's all I can think of for now.

But for most people. a good loop knot like a figure 8 and a trucker's hitch will do most of what you need to do.
Chris Loomis
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Have always been taught... last hitch goes same direction as the first two.

A "Munters Hitch" is another good one for boaters know. It will allow you to slowly lower anything with only one hand and a single carabiner, while easily allowing the taking up of slack. Omit's the need for carrying a belay device.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    Walsh
    CBoats Addict

They're both right.

Post by Walsh »

Hi Dan,

Read your article, and the knot you show is a correct tautline hitch. I believe that you have inadvertently stumbled into a very old debate over which direction the third (final) half-hitch should be in, relative to the other two. I've been aware if this controversy since Scout camp at the age of eleven. I was told at the time, but cannot verify, that the GSA taught one method, and the BSA the other.

The bottom line is that they are two variations of the same knot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taut-line_hitch). There are insignificant differences in the ease of dressing the knot, and its tendency to twist, but both variations are correct.
    FURZTROCKEN!
    smbjs
    c

Post by smbjs »

simple way to remember the tautline is two loops to the inside one to the outside ...inside inside outside also check out the website Grogs Knots they're even animated!
    TonyB
    CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I don't think that direction matters either. The only time I see that knot is old schoolers using it on bow/stern lines on roof.

Another knot I do like is the clove hitch, great for tying off a paddle and dragging it somewhere.

But arnt we missing he real question as to what kind of adhesive is needed attatch rope lines??
    Proud Yankee
    John Coraor
    CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Everyone else seems to have already provided the necessary correction (or rather completion) of your incorrect/incomplete tautline hitch.

However, I will add comments on its usage relative to other knots such as a trucker's hitch:

A tautline hitch is designed for situations where you might wish to tighten or loosen a line without re-tying it (e.g. on tent or tarp guy lines, on old school end ties used to secure long boats to your bumpers, or on gate adjustment strings for slalom gates).

A trucker's hitch is designed to multiply force in tightening a line prior to tying it off. However, it has to be partially untied, if the need arises to adjust the tension.

Different knots; different applications. I typically use rope with a trucker's hitch to strap on multiple boats on top of my racks (instead of ratcheting straps), then use end ties with tautline hitches to secure the ends of the boats to S-hooks anchored at tow points under the bumpers. ...but then I'm oldschool.

John

PS: On slalom gate adjustment strings I often add additional turns when I tie the tautline hitch in order to provide more friction to offset the slippery nature of nylon mason's twine most frequently used. This is particularly necessary if the cheaper (and slipperier) twisted mason's twine is used instead of braided mason's twine.