BlackFlys

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

OC1er
CBoats Addict

BlackFlys

Post by OC1er »

Been interested in the BlackFly for a while now. Got some questions though. Am i going to be too big for the boat at 190#, 6'2"? How is it for a down river player? Will I still be able to wave wheel, eddy line play, flat water ends? How about down river running (I'm thinking NRG, Lower G, Ocoee, Noli type runs)? How does the boat handle full? Easy to roll?

I love my playboat but it's tiny, and the outfitting is great for the "safe" park and play but concerns me on down river runs. Is the blackfly the playboat you can't be too fat for??

Thanks for any info!

Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Blackfly

Post by Mikey B »

I'm 6' and 190+ at the moment, and I must say that it's my favorite boat! I can't quite flatwater cartwheel it...yet, but it's easy to get up on end and do plenty of fun stuff. On the river, it's capable of more than what my skills can take advantage of. It's loads of fun!!!!
It rolls very easily. Try one if you can or if I were you, I'd go for it! :D
Mikey
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

i demoed a blackfly at ALF and was really impressed with it. i paddled the ledges section on the tellico and was really impressed with dam near everything about that boat. it was more stable, quicker, drier, and more fun than i expected. the first few ledges i plugged in and went deep, but after a little technique correction i was able to boof the boat pretty well and stay dry too. it was, as expected, easy to surf, and way easier to spin than any other oc1 i've tried. it rolled super easy and was still stable, but slow as molasses (to be expected) when full. it was easier to ferry and get where i wanted to go downstream than i expected for a boat that short. overall, i think its a great boat. i'm 6' 165lbs.

jeremy really did a good job on that one. makes me want to try an ion...
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

I believe the boat Golder demoed at ALF was mine. I am 5'10" and 190lbs. The first run I ever did in it was the Tohickon which is a ledgy class III run. It was my second run in an OC1 on whitewater and it treated me very well. I really enjoy how it surfs. As already mentioned it is slow when full of water so I would suggest a bilge pump if you plan on challenging Class IV/V river running.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

ESP wrote:As already mentioned it is slow when full of water so I would suggest a bilge pump if you plan on challenging Class IV/V river running.
I would suggest seriously rethinking what you're doing if you're running class V in a freestyle oriented OC1... (certain big wave rapids excepted).
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

OC1 listed the Lower G and the Noli as specific runs for consideration. I have run both in squirt boats, freestyle boats and striders. They are both good candidates for the Blackfly at appropriate. levels in my opinion.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

ESP wrote:OC1 listed the Lower G and the Noli as specific runs for consideration. I have run both in squirt boats, freestyle boats and striders. They are both good candidates for the Blackfly at appropriate. levels in my opinion.
I just looked them up, as I'm unfamiliar; and I think we might be coming at this from different "angles" whilst they both have rapids graded 4+ or 5, they're not sustained at that grade;
My assumption when you mentioned class 4/5 river running was that you were talking about running something continous at the grade.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Hi Dan, these are all good questions. Let me start by saying, that if you love playboating and want and open canoe playboat, there is simply no better choice on the market. The Spanish Flys and the other playboat designs are great boats, but much more of a downriver boat with some playboat like characteristics.

I wouldn't call the Blackfly a park-and-play only boat, but its performance downriver is like a playboat, so you're going to find it pretty slow even when empty. And I think it is surprisingly fast when full of water, but still slow compared to most any other boat. The boat actually paddles great when its full of water, and I'll take a few surfs in a big feature before bailing (because I'm lazy). The biggest disadvantage of the Blackfly is that its generally slow when its empty and a pretty wet boat, so you'll find yourself either paddling it with water in it a lot of emptying a lot if you're trying to get downstream. Its a great down river player! You can throw flatwater ends, cartwheels, wave wheels, whatever your favorite playboating trick. I can bow stall it in flatwater and I'm not really a great playboater in my C1. I think it would be a great boat for play heavy runs where you don't have to worry about must make lines. The Lower G and those runs, would be great in the Blackfly, although the boat is slow... so it will be a long day on the Lower G. Its the easiest open boat I have ever rolled. It does have a tendency to go into a bow stall if you roll up hard over your front deck, but you can get used to this quickly and learn how to roll up with your weight centered more. I am 6'1" and about 190 pounds. I've loved paddling the boat. So no I wouldn't say at all that your size or weight is a problem for the boat.
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

Sounds great! Trying to download a flatwater boat for financing as we speak...

I'm used to those types of runs in a playboat that's super small and super unforgiving (Robson Blowfish) already, the wetness is what I'll have to get used to again (maybe a pump?). I like down river play as much as surf, and I'm stoked to hear that the BlackFly is capable...

Thanks for the info!

Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.