Mohawk thigh retainer system

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dennysdad
c

Re: Mohawk thigh retainer system

Post by Dennysdad »

With the single strap viper 11 viper 12 and probe 12 I would adjust it as tight as I possibly could
Then back out of it slightly open the buckle up and move it a tad tighter
Then pound the buckle shut with the bottom of my hand
Then wedge myself back in
Never came out of my boat unless I wanted to but a simple relaxing of my thigh muscles
And I am out. That being said I have a bulkhead in a blackfly and love it as an added bonus
You have 6 or so inches of foam around your legs to keep you dry and warm on those chilly mornings
When other people are having their second cup of coffee
Dennysdad
c

Post by Dennysdad »

Another major difference between the two I mentioned would involve edges
Viper/Mohawk thigh retainer if I twist and lift outer leg you start to engage the chines/edge
With the bulkhead I added hip pads for the same purpose
Thigh retainer is anchored below hip so force is applied in hip area
Not so much with a bulkhead
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Here is my take on all of Mohawks Outfitting. The single thigh retaining system is good for what it was designed to do. It is the closet thing to a bulkhead as you can get without using aaaaa bulkhead. It is a one size fits all outfitting that was very easy to install in production boats. It is not my favorite but it is the most versatile l and user friendly. Many boaters got there start using them. I use bulkheads in my creek boats and tandem viper 12. The easy of exit and entry make this the best for creaking. Then we have the extreme outfitting. it is more of traditional straps but with a knee strap and a thigh strap all four individually anchored and adjusted. the absolute best for what it is good for. I feel racing. Each type of outfitting has its pros and cons, just because it is the best for creaking does not mean it is the best for solemn racing. IMO the most efficient outfitting ever was the knee boots. When you control your boat through the gunnels you loose X% of power and control. The lower you move down the boat to the boat the more efficient the power transfer/control becomes. just my 2 cents
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker