Anyone use all of these pry's on a regular basis?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Craig Smerda wrote:...

What does it mean when you really don't think about what you are doing out on the water or what the names of the actions you are doing are called but it all seems to somehow work? Cuz... I think I'm that guy... :P
There's just one stroke - put your paddle in the water, move as needed, extract, repeat...
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Craig Smerda wrote: What does it mean when you really don't think about what you are doing out on the water or what the names of the actions you are doing are called but it all seems to somehow work? Cuz... I think I'm that guy... :P
You're still a youngster! :wink: Wait 'til you've paddled canoe for 35 years like me. (or maybe you have) I (consciously) have no idea what I'm doing. The body does all the work. When I look at my strokes, sometimes there are 4 or 5 distinct components to a forward stroke - and I don't think about any of them. My mind is only on the water and the line that I'm guiding the boat on.

Trying to teach someone else to do what I do is a greater challenge...
Bob P
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Perhaps why some of the best paddlers, are not the best of teachers... and the best teachers, not known as the best of paddlers... compounded by the fact, that we have to get past thinking about what we are doing, in order for what we are doing to work.Image
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    kanur
    C Guru

Post by kanur »

sbroam wrote:
    There's just one stroke - put your paddle in the water, move as needed, extract, repeat...
    Ding, Ding, Ding, I think we have a winner :lol:
    Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
    Jim Michaud
    CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I'm pretty sure that the only stroke that I DON'T use is the righting pry. I did learn the righting pry when I was a newby but gave it up as a lost cause. All too often the tip of my blade would hit a rock during a righting pry. The canoe would then hit the paddle shaft and tear it out of my hands or flip the canoe. I've long ago switched to draws and cross draws. The only pry that I still use is the stern pry, when needed.
    tennOC
    Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

I use a pry all the time for opening my beer :D . I can do it onside, offside, cross-reverse-behindtheback, ...
    BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"
    iRolled
    BlackFly Canoes

Re: Speaking of underwater recoveries

Post by iRolled »

RapidMediaTVGuy wrote:iRolled do you ever use a sculling pry? I find on flatwater I use it a little bit but never even think about it in whitewater. It seems I immediately crossover and draw instead. Just feels more natural (or maybe easier) to me. I wonder what is more effective though? I'm all about always having a blade in the water as without it the river is in control so maybe I should be working that pry a bit more.

Dan Caldwell
    Rapid Media TV Guy
    Yup, I use the skull a lot. In the current, and in the eddys. I use it to lign myself up for surfing or to get on line with my target. or to get out of the way of huge rafts. I believe that shorter boats react way more to draws, prys, and skulls, than longer boats. I'm sure a lot of others would agree.
    Team Blackfly
    http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;