OC Faceoff - Zephyr or Outrage?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RapidMediaTVGuy
C Boater

OC Faceoff - Zephyr or Outrage?

Post by RapidMediaTVGuy »

So we did an article in the latest issue of Rapid about which boat does what things better than the other -
http://www.rapidmag.com/blogs/features- ... trage.html
(you can read the article for Free but need to put in your email address)

and was wondering what the opinions on this board were about those two boats? Anyone owned or own both? I've only paddled the Zephyr (and only for a few hours) and thought it was a pretty rockin' ride.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Zephyr is a better canoe for the motivated beginner or intermediate looking for a confidence-inspiring boat (I feel it performs similar to an Ovation), and the Outrage is a better boat for an intermediate looking to push themselves, or an expert paddler (more responsive). The lightweight of the Zephyr would be nice for smaller paddlers, but it is wide enough to make strokes more awkward for the those same smaller paddlers, so I feel like that is a wash.

Shep
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I have paddled spent a couple of day a few years ago paddling a Zephyr and I have an Outrage in my fleet. IMHO the only real advantage the zephyr has is it's lower weight. As far as just about everything else, the outrage does it better IMHO. Faster, accelerates better, turns better, rolls easy.
The Outrage is, IMHO, one of the most underrrated boats out there. Stable and perdictable enough to put beginners in there and have them feel confident within no time, but also dry, responsive and maneuvrable enough for advanced paddlers to tackle creeks and steep drops as well as big water.
Lately I prefer it on almost any water except steep creeks over my Prelude. There is however a noticeable difference in performance between Outrages with wood gunnels versus boats with vynil ones. The version with the wood gunnels is significantly lighter and better handling IMHO.
For me at about 180lbs, the Outrage even works as a boat for multi day trips. It gets a bit wetter then, but it still works fine.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

+1 for TGG. I have played witht the Zephyr a bit, and I own an Outrage, that said, my outrage is the "X" so a bit longer that the regular outrage, but would say that it does every thing better than the Zephyr... Other than rolling, I never been abble to roll my OutrageX... I would love to try an Outrage, to compare it to my boat!!
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I'd choose the Outrage X for more speed and for repairability. I tried an Outrage X, and it's similar to the MR Synergy I normally use. Not that great a "play" boat, but a very good river runner.

If Esquif finds a way that I could fix the Zephyr on my own, that would make me more interested.
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

Another boat that should be in this comparison is the Bell Outraged. It is faster, quicker, and more maneuverable than the Outrage. It only weighs 30lbs. (approximately) fully outfitted and in my opinion it surfs better than the Outrage as well. It will not handle abuse as well as the Outrage but it can be repaired easily.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Yes, the Outraged would be a fantastic boat, but is it still in production? It has not been on Bells website for quite a while.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

I needed to do a repair on mine and called Bell for info. The first person I spoke with referred me to a gentleman who I believe is the owner. In the course of the conversation I was informed that only 4 had ever been made and that they still had the mold. So I guess if someone was really interested they could call and ask if Bell would build any new ones. I have no idea if they still have production rites.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Having spend little time in both boats I agree with most posts up here that the outrage is a better overall boat. But it's an interesting question in that the outrage to me is a round hull that can still carve and be very responsive and the zephyr is an edgy hull that is still quite forgiving... So two different concept both tweaked to (try to) give a friendly efficient short all around river runner open boat design.

Let alone the material difference, I can only add that the zephyr is quite a bit harder to roll also and won't turn quite as easily especially if you don't have correct boat tilt. It might track better though I am not sure how much you really want this from a playboat.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

ESP wrote:I needed to do a repair on mine and called Bell for info. The first person I spoke with referred me to a gentleman who I believe is the owner. In the course of the conversation I was informed that only 4 had ever been made and that they still had the mold. So I guess if someone was really interested they could call and ask if Bell would build any new ones. I have no idea if they still have production rites.
When did this phone call happen? Bell is currently for sale, and my impression is that they aren't actively doing business at the moment.

I don't think the outraged makes sense in this conversation, because it is, by definition, a niche market boat. But I would love to see it back in production.

Shep
Alan S
C Boater

Post by Alan S »

Isn't anyone going to speak up for the Zephyr? I've owned an OutrageX and a Zephyr. I don't see a big difference in speed or how they carve but the Zephyr is drier, more stable, easier to roll, and a much better surfer. However, I can't compare to the regular (12') Outrage. Both are good all-around designs suitable for a range of paddlers.
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

The conversation occurred shortly after I purchased the boat which was damaged doing the Colorado River last summer. The gunnels had not been put on correctly and a portion of one gunnel came off the boat when under stress on the river. I believe the conversation occurred in early Nov. 2010. Hopefully someone will obtain the mold and produce the boat. :cry:
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I have a Zephyr and enjoy it - I have had some problems rolling it, but tended to blame the outfitting I had in it at the time. I don't think it is a remarkable design, but pretty good - it's got some edge, but it is forgiving and a boat I've put beginner/intermediates in. It's not a play boat or a creeker - I have other boats for that, though. What I do like about it is the weight - that's why I took it to nationals, it was my lightest boat and most suited to that task (not having a true racer) - it did alright for me.

I haven't paddled an Outrage, at least not this decade and not more than a few minutes. A local shop does have a used one for sale, maybe I can get it on the water...
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

I like the Zephyr for its weight and the edges are easy to get used to. I've paddled an Outrage for a while and find it to be if not first then a close second in playing, creeking, river running etc to anything out there. Admittedly I tend to be a go for it paddler(sometimes). I think a Zephyr wouldn't last a season for me. Southeast creaks/rivers with their shallowness I'm afraid would eat a Zephyr up.\
Bill
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I think all of the positives for the Zephyr are back to what I said... It's a light, friendly boat... If you pulled the thwarts in, I wonder if it might get a whole lot hotter/edgier (it certainly made my ovation a lot more exciting). If I were buying a boat for my fiance to paddle occasionally, or to use for other beginners, I think the Zephyr is a great boat. (I understand that they are now easier to repair than the used to be, and a shop here in Arkansas told me they have the official repair info from Esquif).

Shep