Open Canoe Painter Lines

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

the horse thief knot also works very well if u dont have a cleat
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

I have a painter on my stern that goes to a spring-cam-cleat by the front of the cockpit. that I find very useful and safe. I use it to tie off my boat or to toe loose kayaks. I have always had one on all my c1s.
Rand
Last edited by Rand C1 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaverman
c

Canoe painters

Post by Beaverman »

I see it as "whatever floats your boat". Different strokes for different folks.

For what it is worth, I think that painters are worth having, but need to be restrained, and I like a 5/8"thick braided nylon 12 foot long painter on both ends secured to the bow thwart, not the grab loop. I secure my painters under a taught bungee cord that is run through my end caps. Never had a loose painter yet in 40 some years in up to class V, although most of my recent runs have been III or less.

Have used for rescues and retrievals and their handiness and usefullness outweight what little risk I perceive.

When I buy a new canoe or restore one, it is the first thing I do, even before eyelets and prussic cord for floatbag lacing. But then I do those, the anchors, pads, straps, and extra thwarts.

Praying for rain for everyone. I go in for total knee replacement surgery next Tuesday. Have a NEW, never been on the water Mad River Courier waiting on me to recuperate to be christened. Was new old stock in a store that closed, and I was persistant in getting it sold to me and shipped.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

:lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter