Owyhee River-drinking water?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Carol
C Guru

Owyhee River-drinking water?

Post by Carol »

The decision has finally been made! We are off to the Owyhee River instead of North Fork of the John Day.

Can we filter and drink River water? I've been told that it has a high arsenic content. We will be unable to carry sufficient water for the entire trip, despite stopping at the spring up mile 18.

Thanks in advance!

Carol K
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Carol,

You can get an Owyhee & Bruneau River System map from the BLM. On it, they show the springs. There's a weeping wall on the left about halfway between Bull's Eye and Read'em and Weep. It's in a patch of poison ivy, but you can get to parts of it without getting into the ivy. There's a spring on the right also right before Montgomery.

Have a great time!
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

Thanks milkman!

The flow has been steady at 2400 CFS for the last four days, and we launch on Monday. I think we're going to have a good trip! E

Carol K
Marc Evans
C Guru

Carol, how was the Owyhee?

Post by Marc Evans »

Carol,

I see from a post that you have returned from the wilds of Oregon. How was the Lower Owyhee? Got pics?

Marc
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

It was an incredable trip! :D

Only mistake was doing it in 4 days (ranger's advice) instead of 5 - we weren't able to do any exploring

We walked Whistling Bird, swam Montgomery, hugged then kissed a rock at Morcum Dam-but didn't exchange phone numbers . The IK on the trip popped a seam while looking for the trail to Pothole Arch. Artillery was a blast!!!

We carried the most weight ever in the Dimension, very sluggish, and didn't like turning right at all. Sure missed having raft support

Can't wait to go back!

Photos will follow shortly, but our big swim at Montgomery is here:

http://youtu.be/C3DnjJOqabM
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Carol,

Glad to hear that you agree about the quality of the Owyhee. It is definitely near the top of my multiday list - I'll be going back in a year or two. In the meantime I'm also looking at the 80+ miles that make up the Southfork and Upper Main Owyhee. If there are any boaters out there that have run the upper Owyhee, I'd love to hear your thoughts on a canoe run. For those that don't know anything about these rivers, check out the photos at this web site:

http://www.liskgallery.com/index.php#mi ... 8&a=0&at=0

Marc
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

Marc,

I would recommend calling the Owyhee River BLM River Ranger, Dave (for 20 years). He's real good about returning phone calls. I've talked him several times, he is a very enthusiastic open boater, and I believe he has done those sections of the Owyhee. Word of warning, he loves to talk!

The only other thing that went wrong on our Owyhee trip, is that we had a bad batch of stove fuel. We had brought three MSR backpack stoves, tested before we left, but when the old fuel in the tanks ran out would not work with the new fuel. This happened on day two. Fortunately, I had enough room to pack a one burner propane stove.

Carol K

Here is a condensed slide show:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1039536341 ... directlink