Liquidlogic's New Stomper Flat Bottom Creek Boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

AJ
CBoats Addict

Liquidlogic's New Stomper Flat Bottom Creek Boat

Post by AJ »

I am looking for my next C1 conversion to add to my fleet. From Larry and Bruce, and a few others recommendation, I have been paddling a H3:255 and really like it. My only wish is it had a little more volume up front and a little more rocker, as it wants to dive in some situations and these changes might make a better boofer? Other then that, I love the edges on the H3, the combing height, cockpit width, and overall design. It has taken a beating in our Colorado mank.

Several of our team of paddlers bought large Burns last year. It seems like a good improvement over my H3, but I don't really like the combing ring as it is very dramatic height change from front to back. It also is narrower in the cockpit, and the molding of the cockpit ring on the sides is different then the H3.

According to Liquidlogic, the Stomper is a mix of the Remix and Jefe, hence a flat bottom creeker. I assume it is similiar to the Burn? It comes in an 80 and 90 gal. versions. Here is the website info for the boat http://www.teamliquidlogic.com/liquidlo ... ic-stomper I look forward to seeing one in person.

I watched Adriene Levknecht stomp all the men in the SSV class V+ creek race at the Lyons Creek Festival this spring in the Stomper, that gurl can paddle! http://www.mountainbuzz.com/gallery/dis ... ageid=4619
AJ
CBoats Addict

More Info and Pictures

Post by AJ »

Semi planning hull, made in America, 20.5 " wide cockpit, nice rocker, and offered in 80 and 90 gallon volume. Hull pictures can be seen here: https://picasaweb.google.com/shanebened ... heStomper#

Specs can be found here:
http://liquidlogickayaks.com/stomper_90.cfm

I would sure like to try one before buying, but we know how that goes :-)
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

The Stomper looks very good... If anyone has heard of the Zet Raptor which is currently taking europe by storm; the Stomper appears to be a different take on the same overall principle... The Stomper's take of course being "what would happen if you took a Jefe, and added some nice subtle rails"...

I'm looking forward to testing one once they reach UK shores, but provisionally the Stomper 90 is on the list with the Nomad and Jefe Grande as a my perspective next creekboat.

It looks like it would make an awesome C1, but... I can't say that with any certainty, and it will most likely somewhat handle differently to anything you've paddled before (It won't be all that much like a Burn/H3; It should actually behave somewhat like a less twitchy Jefe, but could actually work out faster...)
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

The nose and multi-chined edges look very mystic-ish to me...
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

[quote="It looks like it would make an awesome C1, but... I can't say that with any certainty, and it will most likely somewhat handle differently to anything you've paddled before (It won't be all that much like a Burn/H3; It should actually behave somewhat like a less twitchy Jefe, but could actually work out faster...)[/quote]

Interesting comment, from the hull, I would think the Jefe would be slower, forgiving edge, and not track the greatest? Twitchy, like water grabbing the edge twitchy and wanting to flip you?

I weigh about 190lbs. About the only thing I do not like about my H3 is that it wants to dive in big waves and holes. I am used to it now, but it has and can be a problem at times when the nose dives in, the boat has to resurface and slows your momentum. It just seems to need more rocker and volume up front.

I think what i am looking for in my next boat is a flattish bottom hull that offers stabilty, reasonable speed, some edge, but more nose rocker and volume for sure. My boats in paddling order went from Outrage, Ocoee, Skeeter, Taureau to the H3:255. I think the Ocoee and H3 have been the most fun and the boats that I liked paddling the best. thekrikkitwars do you think I am off base considering this boat?
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

AJ wrote:I think what i am looking for in my next boat is a flattish bottom hull that offers stabilty, reasonable speed, some edge, but more nose rocker and volume for sure. My boats in paddling order went from Outrage, Ocoee, Skeeter, Taureau to the H3:255. I think the Ocoee and H3 have been the most fun and the boats that I liked paddling the best. thekrikkitwars do you think I am off base considering this boat?
No, I think it could be a good boat for anyone; It's part of a new generation of creekboat designs, so I'm just warning you that based on other boats of its type, it won't behave like "just another" flat bottomed boat like a H3 or diesel; the mystic is probably the closest approximation to these new boats that's been on the market for any time, and it's proving well liked as a conversion.

As far as the Jefe goes: Twitchyness - it's not edgegrabby, it's the lack of edges, which requires some getting used to as there's no stabilty transition, its just quite stable until suddenly it isn't anymore. Speed - relatively narrow beam, fast for an 8'5" boat, acclerates well in spite of oodles of rocker. Tracking - tracks very well when *driven* forward, otherwise spins about quite easily; the boat moves best in shallow arcs rather than straight lines

I can see the stomper being faster (continuous rocker, with no breaks), less twitchy (edges give you something to feel the water with) and with somewhat different tracking, requring less charging hard.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

The bottom of the bow of the Stomper looks like my Karnali L
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

I've looked at a couple in person and think they will be good conversions. From what the yakers are saying definitely faster than the jefe but not as fast as a remix. woody was saying how amazed he was with the speed they carried through holes. Most of LL's boats work well for conversions and don't think this boat will be any different. I will be interested to hear conversion comparison between the stomper and remix
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

it looks promising! from looking @ the pics...the flat part of the hull isn't very wide (i guess that's why it's called a semi planing hull), so I think it'll feel more like the jefe than the remix.
I hope someone breaks his jefe soon and get's one of these :wink:
Larry
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Well I broke my jefe today about a 6 inch crack don't think it's gonna be fixable I'm thinking a remix though not a stomper we will see
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

remix, WHAT?! c'mon, how could you do this to us!

stomper!
Larry
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Larry why do you care you have a prijon so your good for the next 10 years :wink:
Last edited by xmas0c1c1k1 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

oh i care. i care a lot.

i'm looking for the perfect c1 creeker. the pure xl is ok. even super cool sometimes, but it's not perfect.

we will all be very disapointed in you if you get all conservative and go with the remix. :wink:
Larry
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

don't worry larry. if he goes with the remix, he'll need a new boat in 6 months anyway.....