Werner Bandit Failures

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wiggins
C Guru

Werner Bandit Failures

Post by Wiggins »

I remember reading a thread about a year ago about Bandit T-grips failing at the narrowest point of the T-grip. This happened to me on the Capilano river last week. I was wondering if anyone ever figured out what was going on here. Did Werner get a bad batch of T-grips, is it a poor design, etc.?

Mine sheared off right at the joint where the actual grip meets the piece that joins with the paddle shaft. Here are some pics: http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?s ... 1823033581. They should be set so that people without facebook accounts can view them.

This paddle is less than a year old, and has less than 20 river days on it, all of which are in class III+ water or easier. I have contacted Werner, and it looks like they are going to treat it as a warranty issue.

Kyle
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

?? 8)
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

:o Looks like someone from Werner got to him, just when he was going to spill the beans.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

I don't know why nothing showed up in my first post.

Werner responded to my e-mail and gave me a return authorization number in less than 24 hours. It appears that they are going to handle this as a warranty issue, so I have no complaints about them so far.

I remember this issue popped up on the forum this time last year. I was curious if anyone ever figured out what the problem with the paddles were and if the issue has been fixed.

Mine broke right at the narrow spot where the grip joins with the piece that fits into the shaft.

Kyle
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Did you see any internal bubbles where your grip broke off? Otherwise it's just a matter of them having under-engineered that narrow spot, not making it strong enough for the job. I never had a Norse break there.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Had the same problem with a Nantahala recently. It had less than a season on it.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Werner paddles customer service and repairs/warranty people have been great to work with in my experience. All products are different and having a company that is responsive to customer issues is extremely important.
tokebelokee
C Guru

Post by tokebelokee »

I have broken a Werner T-grip in the same way as described. Warranty was honored without hassle, and the paddle wasn't exactly brand new.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Not that it's relevant to Kyle, but I did have the t-grip snap off of a Norse paddle - in the middle of the first rapid of my first C-1 run.

Hopefully Werner takes care of it. Seems like the kinda failure that should be avoidable (assuming you were paddling with the paddle and not jamming the t-grip into the river bed - sometimes it understandable that blades snap, but t-grips?).

Pat.

p.s. Sorry I missed the run Kyle, I was planning on it, but got sick.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

Just an update.

Werner fixed my paddle and I got it back today. It looks like they have redesigned their T-grip to be more robust where the breakages were happening.

They were great to deal with. Now if they only made a breakdown!

Kyle
Nessmuk
Pain Boater

Post by Nessmuk »

Werner does make a breakdown- I have a 2-piece bandit.

NOC special ordered it for me.