Suggestions for a good Western 3-4 day Float

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Suggestions for a good Western 3-4 day Float

Post by kabuki_blaze »

I wanted to see if anyone had a good suggestion for a 3-4 day river run out west. I am planning this way to late, so it has to be non-permitted, going sometime around Mid-August. Looking for Class 1-3 water, wilderness, good camping etc, with available shuttle service.

Or if anyone can point me toward a good reference book.

Thanks for any help.
ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

There a lot of "west" out there. Can you be a bit more specific about where you are heading?
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

Sorry....See, that's the problem, I don't have a specific place in mind, I am not sure where to start. I have 9-12 days of vacation, a limited budget and I live on the east coast. I was planning on driving my family (wife, 4 year-old daughter) out west, the distance was determined by the destination. Preferably I would like to find something in MT, UT, CO, or NM.

I suck at trip planning and always get overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Just want a 3-6 day trip with mild whitewater that's worth a 30 hour drive with a 4-year old. I was exploring various websites that highlight certain rivers, just not sure what would be the best...
ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

Why not head out to western Alberta and paddle the North Saskatchewan River from Nordegg to Rocky Mountain House. This is about a 3-4 day float with quite a few rapids up to about CIII. There was a good trip report posted awhile back:
http://ripplewake.ca/tr/nsr/index.htm

Trip starts in the foothills of the rockies and heads east from there. Scenery is great, with many wilderness camping opportunties along the river. I have done this (110 km) trip with my family about 4 or 5 times (with my daughter as young as about 5) and it has always been a blast.

cheers
dave
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Moab! The entire canyonlands region is absolutely unbelievable.
Very very "out west".
Stillwater canyon on the green river in utah is a great multi day class1 float with full shuttle and outfitting service.
The Hiking and biking and even car touring is awsome too.
Larry
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'm in UT and there are some nice sections of the Green and Colorado that don't require a permit but are more suited for daily trips. They do become more easy to get around the Sept timeframe. Drop me a line if you need anything that I can help you with.
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

Awesome! Thanks for the info..The Alberta trip looks incredible, will have to put that on my list. I was thinking about some of the river trips near Moab..Someone also mentioned Westwood Canyon and the Gunnison Gorge. Please let me know if you have anymore ideas..

Thanks
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

Smurfwarrior wrote:I'm in UT and there are some nice sections of the Green and Colorado that don't require a permit but are more suited for daily trips. They do become more easy to get around the Sept timeframe. Drop me a line if you need anything that I can help you with.
Thanks I will....!
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I don't think the Gunny Gorge is a multiday trip and I'd hate to hike into the put in with a four year old in summertime. What about the Delores?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Oh, august. I guess i missed that minor detail first read. I've only been to Moab in october, and the weather was awsome . But I bet it's prolly HOT in august!
Larry
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Dolores has dropped too low, though it was a great season. The Gateway Canyon portion might still be high enough, but it requires a Utah permit and the shuttle is very long.
Alan S
C Boater

Post by Alan S »

The North Fork Flathead in Montana along the border of Glacier National Park fits your description -- 58 miles from the Canadian border to Blankenship Bridge, up to class II+ in August. You can extend it a bit farther if desired. I've used Glacier Raft Company for shuttle but there are a variety of shuttle services. It's not too far from roads but still has a nice primitive feel. It can get too low for rafts but is fine for canoes late season (anyway, there is lots of water this year).See the description at
American Whitewater: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... l/id/1004/

The Alberta trip also sounds great -- I'd like to do that trip. The flat (Desolation/Grey) section of the Green is spectacular and not too hot if you spend lots of time in the water. However, I would prefer a full week for that float.
oc ender
C Guru

River Float

Post by oc ender »

I'd have to say the Kootney River in SE BC is the best around.

However,when you consider the rivers out West and are considering anything from Utah to Alberta,well let's just say that there are few options.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

Thanks for all the help, sorry if my request was to broad, but my plans are generally that way as well, unfortunately.

The Flat head trip looks amazing, we are going to Glacier next year for two weeks, so this will definitely be one of those weeks. Thanks a lot for the info..

At this point, it looks like we are driving to CO, so perhaps the horse-thief section combined with pieces of the CO. River leading up to Moab. It will be hot, but I assume having frigid water will help cool things off..

If anyone has any other suggestions near CO, please advise!
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

What kind of craft will you be using? I just assumed tht it would be a tandem canoe? Ruby/ Horse Thief has no major significant rapids but it can be very fast. I've done it twice; once at 25K cfs and once a little lower. I'd hate to toss a small child into that and have to get the kid and the boat and the spouse and the gear into an eddy. A raft would be a whole 'nother story. Very doable.