not only a combat roll, but a really "gnarlz" one

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

insolence
CBoats Addict

not only a combat roll, but a really "gnarlz" one

Post by insolence »

I have a reliable combat roll. The chances are 99% that it works. With currently more than 300 days a year paddling, this still means about 3 swims a year. One of them can be equipment fail, when knee straps or paddle breaks

and one or two times a year, it happens, that I get messed up and smashed around in a stopper or twirl or similar violently turbulent currents - and totally loose orientation, don't know whats up and whats down and don't find where to put pressure on the blade to get back up

while this is no issue in training, I don't want this to happen on a class 4 - 5 river with a sieve next to me

what can i do to get rid of this problem? how can i improve an actually reliable roll, how make it faster or safer? what can I do to maintain control even under water? any ideas?
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

The best way to get more comfortable in getting throttled in a hole, is (you guessed it) spend some quality time getting a friendly beatdown from a big SAFE hole. Not some kind of killer hydraulic that is never going to spit you out or feed you into an undercut, but something just big enough to put you a little on edge. Jump right into it and go for a side surf. If you suck at surfing as much as I do, you will soon be doing roll practice!

Personally I find the key to rolling in the business keeping cool, holding my set up, and waiting until I can feel that I am in a place where a roll is possible. Usually this is when I can feel that my paddle is on the surface, or at least very close. Sometimes this means waiting to get flushed out of a hole or at least until my roll can be attempted on the downstream side.

Playboating is also excellent for roll/capsizing in odd places practice...
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Anthony hit the nail on the head...

I'm assuming your C1ing? A 'gnarlz' C1 roll all starts from the tuck. As soon as that boat goes over you should be tucking with ur paddle running down the side of the boat that you roll on. The good news about C1 is the boat remains completely upside down, as opposed to a OC1, where it can get hung-up on the side.

If you are looking for a 'gnarlz' OC1 roll - They key is body control under the water. Now obviously your body is going to get blown around by gnarly currents if your in the gnarlz...so you need a point of balance(your paddle)...You can use your paddle to grab different currents to reposition not only your body, but your boat as well.

I've been in a few circumstances where I am upside down, pushed up against a side wall, with my onside against the wall - and after getting a quick breath of air(nice part about OC1)...I went back under the boat, opened my body up, grabbed the current w/ my paddle underwater and on my offside...and this spun the boat around and flushed it out away from the wall - thus allowing me to roll...

The point of my story is... the more situations you get yourself into the better equipped you will be for dealing w/ the time that you absolutely cannot miss your roll.

The other advice I have is....fire under pressure - the ability to become a better paddler than you really are when it matters the most...I can't really explain how to 'learn' this...

Hope some of this helps? Bottom line is - rolls will be missed. Just dont miss them when it matters the most :) We need all the females we can get in our sport
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

yeah, I think your advices help - now I know my homework, will go look for some big stuff and have a good time in it
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

You don't have to get in the mean stuff. Just go lookin for trouble in the right place.... In the end you most likely have most the skills that you need....but its about believing that when it matters most.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

that's right though I'd rather say it's not about believing, but knowing that you can do it

and this is a question everyone has to find an own answer, regardless of what anybody else is saying. I don't run something when I'm not completely sure that I would perform really well.

On the other hand, I often had the whole group telling it's too dangerous/difficult for me whatever, but I had a strong feeling it would be right. And then I do it. I have never been wrong

it's a lot about listening to the river. It has a lot of lessons to teach if we are only willing and trying to listen. Trusting my inner voice and knowing I can trust it was one of these things I have been teached by the rivers
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
philcanoe
C Maven

Re: not only a combat roll, but a really "gnarlz"

Post by philcanoe »

insolence wrote:I have a reliable combat roll. The chances are 99% that it works. With currently more than 300 days a year paddling, this still means about 3 swims a year....

:) :) :)
you give lessons ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk0dBZ1meio
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    jakke
    CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:... Just go lookin for trouble in the right place....
    I like this one :lol: :lol:

Sabrina, I think you're looking for a nice hole to work in, but one that has some extra waves and irregular currents behind it, not a calmer section. And rodeo seems to be very good as well, to improve your roll and boat handling.
    insolence
    CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

the only feature available to me for regular training is good old washing machine at home, but I think this will do
    it's small but pretty trashy, turbulent all over the place and very powerful - and better to be used by a plastic boat, haha :lol:
    it's gettin hot
    I MAKE THE WATER BURN
    purple orange flames
    Stingray
    C Guru

Post by Stingray »

You said you paddle 300 days a years, that great
    I so jealous
    Now that I can't down hill ski anymore, I need to move
    jakke
    CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I'm happy if I make like 15 to 20 days on alpine grade rivers :cry: :cry: :cry:
    insolence
    CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

well, I have only 10 min cycle to a great whitewater race/training course . This allows me to paddle basically every day, and even when it's stressful at university or work, I rise earlier and just paddle before lessons
    it's gettin hot
    I MAKE THE WATER BURN
    purple orange flames