Yellow Royalex

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Yellow Royalex

Post by cmnypny »

Just curious as to whether boats made with yellow royalex are softer / wear out easier?

Or is that a urban myth.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Seems like the yellow vinyl on the chines of my Det wear pretty easily, get a red one, but I know you want all those new stickers to show up on a bright new boat. But seriously, I don't know if there is a substantial differance, although I've heard the yellow is softer for some reason..... Can you bake it in the warm ontario sunshine to toughen it up a bit?
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

Craig ... my choices are yellow, teal, or purple for the viper 12 as that is all they come in

my personal choice would be blue or red
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

... u could boil it in lard.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    Shep
    CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I'm convinced that the detonator/nitro wear is a shape thing, not a color thing. Get the one that best floats your boat (hah!)

Shep
    youngwillyd
    C Boater

Post by youngwillyd »

Didn't know how to show this message other than to cut and paste it. I have a yellow Esquif Paradigm that was made in 06. I just bought it. I can't tell that it scratches any easier than any other new boat that I have owned. I think that the best thing to do with a new boat is to sling it across the parking lot so you can quit worrying about scratches.

Willy

2opnboat1
    Mohawk Canoes

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:46 pm Post subject:
    The reason I ask the color is that it seems that yellow has more problems then anyother color. Noone knows why but it seems to be the case, across the board. We dont sale yellow ww boats anymore. As for the post saying that companies want the boats to fail Your crazy There is no longterm money in saleing junk and I think the few companies that are stilll in biz are looking for the long haul. I hate the fact royalex is what it is. and I ddont have a dog in this at all (not my company) but I feel it is wrong to slam a product without trying to resolve it with the company. and to the statement companies want customers to buy boats yearly bogus openboaters dont buy boats yearly no matter the case.
    eddyhops
    CBoats Addict

Re: Yellow Royalex

Post by eddyhops »

cmnypny wrote:Just curious as to whether boats made with yellow royalex are softer / wear out easier?
    :-? In a simple word... nope.

Looking forward to seeing a new boat stickered up Colin!!!
    JD
    pblanc
    CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Roger Scott long maintained that yellow polyethylene kayaks folded more easily than other colors.

I have had several yellow Royalex canoes and can't say I have noticed a difference in stiffness or abrasion resistance.
    Sir Adam
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

When talking "plastics" for kayaks / C1's the early plastics did vary by color at least in terms of their UV resistance. I have a barely scratched, barely faded, white Perception Sage... full of cracks and missing bits. Looked good, but turned out to be very, very brittle.
    Keep the C!
    Adam
    TNbound
    CBoats Addict

Re: Yellow Royalex

Post by TNbound »

eddyhops wrote:
    cmnypny wrote:Just curious as to whether boats made with yellow royalex are softer / wear out easier?
    :-? In a simple word... nope.
    Next thing you know, people will be saying red boats aren't really faster than the other colors!
    -Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
    FullGnarlzOC
    C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Word on the street is that Uniroyal's Yellow Royelex sheets arent as strong as their other colors...for whatever reason.

I believe this has been noticed by companies across the board(dont quote me)...

Mohawk for one, doesn't like to use yellow for this reason. For people that have been involved in canoeing far longer than I have, and build boats for a living.... i believe them.

And word on the street w/ red boats are...if you get yourself a shiney new red boat, you can float over any hole, and never get water in your boat...and a phantom off-side brace comes out automatically during times of stress or strain. Some pretty innovative stuff. :)
    http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
    Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
    Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
    TNbound
    CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

FullGnarlzOC wrote: And word on the street w/ red boats are...if you get yourself a shiney new red boat, you can float over any hole, and never get water in your boat...and a phantom off-side brace comes out automatically during times of stress or strain. Some pretty innovative stuff. :)

Purple boats boost the cool factor though.
    Yellow, the banana look-a-like factor.
    -Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
    DougB
    CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

The outer vinyl layer has the colouring, and it doesn't add structural integrity, so I'd be very suprised if there was a difference. Perhaps there was a bad batch of Royalex made in yellow at one time and it's giving the colour a bad name. It doesn't make sense to me that the pigment added to a thin vinyl layer could make any discernable difference. I have a yellow Starburst that's holding up the same as my red Vertige and purple Outrage.
    FullGnarlzOC
    C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

When The vynal wears off and down to abs layer... UV rays can make the Royelex brittle in a heart beat and very susceptable to cracking very easily and quickly if you don't cover up the abs from showing
    http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
    Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
    Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
    yarnellboat
    C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Can't have helped the colour's rep much that some of Esquif's double-chined boats were yellow, those (yellow/mango) chines seem to take a beating.

Pat.