Ledge outfitting ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kslund
Pain Boater

Ledge outfitting ?

Post by kslund »

So based on Dooley's glowing Colorado review, and briefly paddling Smurf's ledge at OC Nats, I broke down and bought a brand new ledge today :D

For you ledge owners, couple of questions on the factory outfitting.

It came with a piece of cord tied around the saddle (right where your butt goes) that looks like it holds in the yakima foot pegs. Do they normally come this way? seems odd...

And just to verify (I did search), I should carve out the thigh holes little by little until I get a good fit. Leave the back of the saddle alone?

Excited to try this boat out tomorrow. Looks like it will be a 1000x drier than the prelude.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised that my decked ledge only weighed 2 more lbs than by prelude. Of course, my prelude has a 5 lb PE plate welded to the bottom as well as a pump system. W/ bags my decked ledge weighed in around 63 lbs and I'm happy with that.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Thigh hoks

Post by Wendy »

Carve,sand the outside and upper portion to get good spread of the knees. I also have to carve a little of the side wall foam for short larger thighs
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Congrats!

Not sure what you are talking about with the lacing on the saddle? There are two loops on the back of the pegs for airbag cage lacing. You probably won't need to worry about this as they are used on the open model. (Shoot and post a picture if you are concerned.)

On carving out the hooks... yep... and take your time getting it to fit you snug so you're wearing the boat as much as possible.

Have fun... :D
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

And just to verify (I did search), I should carve out the thigh holes little by little until I get a good fit. Leave the back of the saddle alone?
Maybe it's just my big butt. But after taking my L'edge out for the first time, I ended up shaving the back of the saddle a little bit. It felt like I was too far forward otherwise, and it gave me better contact with the seat. Also, I rounded the sharp corner at the top of the saddle because it was poking into my back.

I suppose the technically correct answer would involve the boat's trim--whether you should move forward (carving knee holes) or back (carving the back rest). I wasn't that scientific. I'd say I did about 95% shaving knee holes and 5% shaving the back rest, according to personal comfort.

(edit: Craig answered the cord question)
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

Not sure what you are talking about with the lacing on the saddle? There are two loops on the back of the pegs for airbag cage lacing. You probably won't need to worry about this as they are used on the open model. (Shoot and post a picture if you are concerned.)
Ahh, that would make sense, it's to make a bag cage. They just tied the cord off around the saddle so it wasn't loose.

Spent a while carving and sanding tonight - but then the mosquitoes came out - and we're not supposed to have those in Colorado :evil: Got enough foam off to give it a maiden run tomorrow :P
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Re: Ledge outfitting ?

Post by eddyhops »

I wouldn't actually 'carve' in the knee holes... better, in my opinion, to slowly shape with a wood rasp or round surform.

Congrats on your new boat!
JD
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Excellent!!! Glad I could help with that :)
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

I wouldn't actually 'carve' in the knee holes... better, in my opinion, to slowly shape with a wood rasp or round surform.
Definitely. I was using the term "carve" loosely. I did everything with a surfom shaver and sandpaper