Understanding the Mental Game

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Understanding the Mental Game

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

For progressing paddlers, the difference between progressing fast and progressing slow is often the case of mind over matter. I've seen it again and again in my short two years of boating... Good boaters letting their heads stop them from being what they are...good boaters. So the problem really isn't just with new progressing boaters...although experience helps. It's really understanding the mental game.

It's real easy to start off a run not feeling on top of your game. Whether it be because your wife or girlfriend "wasn't havin it" before you left, maybe work has your panties in a bunch, or because the day before...you got your as handed to you on the river... Bottom line if you let your head get in the way...you won't boat as well as you are capable of. And for paddlers stepping up...you just can't afford not being the best you can be.

So...how does one start taking control of ones apparent lack of confidence...JEDI MIND TRAINING.

Don't let your self think negatively. Keep going after lines that you know deep down you can hit...even if you mess up. Don't wuss out. It's real easy to lay off of "getting better" for the day when you start paddling like a wuss. Instead snap out of it and concentrate on paddling like you know you can.

Sticking with it when you FEEL LIKE the chips are down is all part of conquering the mental game. As corny as this sounds, it all starts with believing in yourself...everyday.

Have you worked on your mental Game lately?

This has been another edition of "coaches corner" with Eddy McGnarlz. :)[/code]
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

worked on the mental game? I constantly do

It can be winning a slalom race or styling a class V rapid - at times, you have to perform perfectly, no matter how bad you might feel inside, no matter how high the pressure is, no matter how nervous you are, no matter everything.
Paddling is a psycho game, and not an easy one to master

Mr. McGnarlz has mentioned some good points, so what did I find out so far?

1) Goals are more important than problems
- stop moaning and worrying about mistakes and mishaps, and even thinking about things that stand in your way. Of course, the problems - like having had you partner bitch at you the day before - are still there, but freakin out about it doesn't help. Instead focus on what you want to achieve and put your energy there

2) the difference between loosers and winners is: the looser makes a mistake and cries about it for ages. The winner makes a mistake, analyzes why it happened, learns from it (why did it happen, what to do better the next time) and then keeps on going

3)Learn trust yourself and be self-confident. Remind situations you have performed well, and learn to know you are a good paddler. Whenever I style a really good move, I tell myself: this was no luck, this was because I know how to do it!

4) positive self - suggestion: "watch a movie in your head" how you make a really really good run, and how great you feel doing it and after - imagine the picture, the feeling, everything

5) Concentrate on yourself, your own good run, your own goal - and don't think about what other people might do or think. It's your perfect run that you want - and better finish last but knowing you have given your very best than win the race with a large steaming pile of dog doo performance

6) autogenic training - learn to influence body and mind

the perfect state to perform perfectly well is a different one for every person. Though, most of us perform better when being not too nervous. All these hints help to stay calm or calm you down again when nervosity and fear start their attack. But consider that also the psycho game requires experience and sometimes still your nerves win the fight. Fail, try again, fail better.
It's not easy, and many professional (canoe slalom) athletes work on autogenic training, work with mental coaches and psychologists. They know why. Paddling is a psycho game
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

That requires me to concentrate and stay...

...something. :roll:

Or is it, concentrate and pay...

...something. :-?

:D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Brewbeer
C Boater

Post by Brewbeer »

Do, or do not. There is no try.
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

The do or do not is right on the mark. Sometimes you are unsuccesful even with the right attitude. The key is don't give up, analyze what went wrong and how to fix it and look at what went right and duplicate that on the next run. Next time you make a run you will improve. NEVER give up but you may have to change short term goals while working on those areas that need improvement.
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

that's exactly what I'm talking about, when I say "fail, try again, fail better"
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

You guys are intense.
jatakasawa
C Guru

Post by jatakasawa »

............................Do you not hear the grasshopper at your feet?

.............wax on, wax off...........

.........................walk on left side of road, OK. Walk on right side of road, OK.....walk in middle of road, SQUISH, like grape.......

...............balance, Daniel-San......
Chester the Brace Monkey.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Chester the molester - showing you the meaning of whats intense, since July 15, 2011 - UY.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

you guys are dorks. i need a safety break.
Joe
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

javascript:emoticon(':lol:')