Doing my part for canoeing

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Doing my part for canoeing

Post by Mikey B »

So when I was at the East Race this weekend, I actually was able to get a couple kayakers into the "Stinkeye."
One was a flatwater marathon canoe racer (to be fair :D ) but paddled a kayak in WW.
The other saw/sometimes paddles with Wayne G-Man I believe...but had recently seen Wayne running Tommy's old Detonator down the Lower Yough, and we got to talking about the new little boats...which led to him running down the course. At first he said he felt like a newbie on the course again, but by the time he was off, he wouldn't be scared running the LY in a boat like that!
Both thought it was very fun paddling the canoe and could see themselves doing it at some point.
It's all good! :D
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Saw the pics of Jeff M. on facebook, great stuff! Your stinkeye is a really cool design and a lot of fun to paddle, I'm glad you're sharing it and converting some kayakers.
boathead
C Guru

Stinkeye?

Post by boathead »

hi Mickey, Barry here. Is your 'Stinkeye" the wooden canoe you designed and built? I thought that looked like a real neat little canoe, but on the "concrete course" at the East Race? BTY, I did order the new Ion for Susie from Jeremy and he is going to ship it to Wisconsin for me. Thanks again for the boat ride offer. ..............the Boathead................................
"You don't beat this river, Chubby"..........
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

stinky n. oncrete

Post by Mikey B »

Barry, yep that'd be stinkeye! I actually had the ER in mind when I built it. The course is pretty slimy these days...on the concrete :D and the eddys you do rub, but its done nothing more than rub off paint and minimal scratching. It's proving to be quite tough. Lloads of fun there![/b]
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

Yes you are doing your part Mikey. Helping that young boater, Aaron, make a Stink-X is first class! I hope he gets it done and brings it to the Turkey Bash. I wants to try it!
It AIN'T bent.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Al's "Golden Monkey" Stink Eye!

Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Big Al
CBoats Addict

The Monkey-Eye

Post by Big Al »

PAC,
Thanks for posting the Monkey-Eye pics.

It is one unique and cool looking canoe. Now I can enjoy the Golden Monkey ON and OFF the river.

On its maiden run late last Friday night on the LY a yakker asked if it was one of the state-of-the-art fancy OC playboats coming out. YUP! Another asked if it was aluminum. NOPE! Others said it looked like UFO going down the river. In the eye of the beholder, I guess.

It's easier to roll than Mikey-B's Stink-Eye as he made it a few inches less flare on the tumblehome. It's a foot shorter than Aaron's Stink-Eye X.
Haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, but Mikey-B thinks its about 46lbs.
It handles similarly to the S-Fly, but it is edgier -- a good thing for playing and eddy hopping. It's much faster.

Certainly a biggish water boat and not a creeker, but, maybe, as I dial in, would be wiling to punish it on the UY some day

Great JOB MikeyB!!

Big Al
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

That's a cool looking boat!
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

MONKEYS!!!!!!

Sweet boat Al
Chris Loomis
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Nice boat Mb! . Al got his baby! I hear that golden monkey on the bottom has the power to morph in monkeys from an alternate universe, where they drink nothing but monkeys.

Remember folks....a golden monkey or two a day...keepith the doctor away.

but 4 golden monkeys? Well...we know what that does. ;)
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

There was quite a lot of kayaker interest in the Stinkeyes on the LY this weekend, maybe it's just a canoe that they can relate to in terms of size.

As much as Al's Monkey Eye looks like a UFO on the river, it looks even more like one on the roof of his SUV. I am looking for the footage of it in the next UFO special.

Now if only I can find the controls for the replicator that serves ice cold Monkeys, we'll all be set.

Looking good in your new boat Al,

Aaron
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »