Billy Keen died on Colorado's Blue River

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

tennOC
Pain Boater

Billy Keen died on Colorado's Blue River

Post by tennOC »

:( Saw on BT that Billy Keen had died on the Blue River. Billy was a great OC-1 paddler and racer. He was one of Frankie Hubbard's closest friends back in the 80's and helped Frankie get his first designs going. Image

Billy was one of the coolest guys I ever met. Quiet, confident and competent, Billy was always squeezing a little more fun out of life. I feel fortunate to have shared some good times with him. My condolences to his wife and family.

Here is a link to his obituary http://www.summitdaily.com/ARTICLE/2011 ... 758/-1/RSS
BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Larry... here were the other pictures you had posted a while back... http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... ght=#82910

My sincere condolences to family and friends.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Our thoughts are with family and friends! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Thanks Larry.

That was a really nice obit, I'm shaken at the loss. First it was Frankie, followed by Sammy Rogers earlier this year, and now Billy. Incredible losses, of big vast large moments past, and we are not that old. Billy was the quiet guy, the one who just did it, the one who never bragged. With his clean cut, polite, and mild manners, no one would never have known him as being that 'on the edge' out of doors adventurist.... For he hardly fit that rowdy mold.

My heart and thoughts reach out to his family.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    kaz
    Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Sad news. May you rest in peace Billy.

Jkaz
    kerrye
    c

Post by kerrye »

Sad news. Been following the account on MountainBuzz. Not sure if a cause of death was ever given. He was paddling alone in a kayak on the Blue River downstream from Dillon Reservoir if I understand the location correctly. I think some rafters found him in the river. River had been running very high recently.
    Craig Smerda
    L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Larry... Fred Davis had posted this on Facebook...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28 ... etail.html

There's also several posts on the F/B GDI page as well from Mark Saxon, Mark Cumknock, Louie, Fred, etc. about it.
    tennOC
    Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

Thanks Craig. Do you have a link to the GDI page?
    BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"
    Craig Smerda
    L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

philcanoe
    C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

kerrye wrote:Sad news. Been following the account on MountainBuzz. Not sure if a cause of death was ever given. He was paddling alone in a kayak on the Blue River downstream from Dillon Reservoir if I understand the location correctly. I think some rafters found him in the river. River had been running very high recently.
    http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/ ... 38570.html
      ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
      cadster
      CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

The location of the accident was 10 miles north of Silverthorne. The rapids start after Boulder Creek enters and continue with almost no breaks for the next two miles. I paddled the run the day after the accident and the waves were big with a few nasty holes.
      kerrye wrote: He was paddling alone in a kayak on the Blue River downstream from Dillon Reservoir if I understand the location correctly. I think some rafters found him in the river. River had been running very high recently.
      OC1 Dude

Billy Keen

Post by OC1 Dude »

This is Billy's wife and I just found this thread. I loved seeing the older pictures of the younger Billy. I just wanted to thank those who have posted pictures of him in his boat, I loved that part of him and his stories.
      The kids and I are doing okay - too big a loss for us to put into words. We knew he lived his all-too-short life in the same way that everyone else knew him - well, I guess there were some moments of not so calm or quiet, but...
      Those who knew Billy well, were aware of his heart condition; Jeremy (his son) and I feel this had a role in his death. Billy had over 50+ runs on the Blue River this season alone - although mostly in our raft with the family. He had just started back into C1-ing this July.
      We held a wonderful Celebration of Life service for him at Copper Mountain - his other great passion was skiing. At some point we will post a link to the video of his service.
      Billy and I instilled a passion and love for whitewater in his children, and we will be back out on the river soon. If anyone is interested we are planning a service back east as well - his mother wasn't able to make it to Colorado and we will post details when we have them. We plan to bring some of his ashes to the Ocoee, New and Gauley River either this time or next summer.
      Billy and Frankie are together again - running rivers, creeks, building boats and helmets, and hanging out. I wish he were here, but - everyone be safe.
      mrs.psyco

In Memory of Billy, from Psyco

Post by mrs.psyco »

I am sorry I have been silent on Billy's death. He was a good man, a good friend, a good boater, and I'm sure a great father and husband. Even though I haven't seen him in years, it still hurts. God bless.
      - David Simpson