Taping paddle shaft - you, too?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Big Al
CBoats Addict

Taping paddle shaft - you, too?

Post by Big Al »

I love my paddle.

I've been asked an inordinate number of times why I put black electrical tape on the wood shaft of my Mitchell paddle. Is it that strange a thing to do? (Kneal taught me)

Tape goes from the hosel (a golf club term?) just past where the shaft will come into contact with my gunnel.
I feel this improves my grip, especially if wrapped in an upward spiral, and certainly protects the wooden shaft. IMHO, it looks good, too.

I buy the cheapest tape I can find and replace it after every two or three outings. Anyone do anything different? Is there a better gripping tape out there?

I also put a coating of spar varnish on the paddle just as often, if not oftener, and she looks almost like new.

I love my paddle.

Big Al
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Wasn't there a song? "When a man loves a paddle..."

I use electrical tape, too, but it lasts a lot longer than 2-3 outings, more like a year or so. Maybe I don't paddle enough...
bruce
C Boater

paddle tape

Post by bruce »

No one who knows you is suprised that you use the cheapest tape
available.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Check out Cumnocks Grip Tape. Have over 20 trips and holding up well. Only gipe is the sticky stuff rubs off on gunnels. Gives great grip though.

http://waldensridgewhitewater.com/store ... ucts_id=93
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

I tape my mitchell as well cause it saves a lot of wear. Before the tape I was having to repair even with the Dynel sleave, and yes it hits the gunnells and rocks alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Taping paddle shaft - you, too?

Post by KNeal »

Big Al wrote:Is it that strange a thing to do? (Kneal taught me)
Isn't it redundant to say that I taught you something and then call it a strange thing to do?

8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Never tried this stuff on a paddle, but it works wonders on the shafts of ice climbing tools. It's very grippy, it doesn't absorb water, and it's tough. It only sticks to itself, so there's no residue if and when you need to replace it. Just wrap it tight, overlapping each wrap by about half the width of the tape. One pass is all you need.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/prod ... 96825.aspx
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

NickParker wrote:Never tried this stuff on a paddle, but it works wonders on the shafts of ice climbing tools. It's very grippy, it doesn't absorb water, and it's tough. It only sticks to itself, so there's no residue if and when you need to replace it. Just wrap it tight, overlapping each wrap by about half the width of the tape. One pass is all you need.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/prod ... 96825.aspx
Nick,

Is it fairly abrasion resistant? I'm pretty brutal when it come to rubbing my shaft against the gunwale and/or seam line.

I've used Tool handle dip but it takes about 6 coats and it only lasts a couple of months.
Bob P
Mike Gardner
Pain Boater

Post by Mike Gardner »

That silicon tape is very durable. We use it for certain applications in airline maintainance and with hundreds of lives depending upon our work it has to work. The tape is rather thick and might not be what you like. Good thing is that it has other uses to seal leaks or reinforce at home or garage. Be sure to install dry or it might not stick even to itself.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

3M electric tape. Comes in a variety of colors, but no gift bag.
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Re: Taping paddle shaft - you, too?

Post by eddyhops »

Always on carbon... never on wood
JD
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

I've always done wood shafts as well...

They have a better feel, and seem to have not suffered for it... as long as sealed well (varnished - not scratched). Have had good results using good quality electrical tape, but imagine varying results according to gunwale type and paddling style.

For me and my style - it's absolutely required on carbon shafts.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    NickParker
    C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Bob P wrote:Nick, Is it fairly abrasion resistant? I'm pretty brutal when it come to rubbing my shaft against the gunwale and/or seam line.
    I'd say so. The wrap on my ice axes has lasted through three seasons so far, and they get heavily abused.

I measured the thickness of the installed tape, and it's .027" (twenty seven thousandths of an inch), so it's not so thick that it will cause a problem. One wrap is all you need, overlapping each wrap by half the width of the tape.

Like I said before, I haven't used this tape yet on a paddle shaft, but I've settled on it for my ice axes. I previously tried various types of electrical tape, athletic tape, and bicycle handlebar tape. All were either too slick and/or absorbed too much water.
    AJ
    CBoats Addict

Tape and Paddle Wax

Post by AJ »

I use bright colored electrical tape too, for improved grip as well as optics, if my paddle happens to leave my hand.

I also use paddle wax, when I have it. Curoius, how many people use paddle wax?
    PAC
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Use bright colored electrical tape too - more for optics than anything else...
    Always use paddle wax! Care it and sun screen in pfd.
    Paul C.
    Cboats Moderator
    Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!