L'edge width

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

DougB
CBoats Addict

L'edge width

Post by DougB »

Broke a thwart in my L'edge this weekend. I thought I may take the opportunity to tweek with the width when I replace it. I have two questions:

What is the width of the boat from the factory? I've heard they vary in width. My thwarts were 21.5" (f) and 21.25" (r) from bolt to bolt.

What alternate widths have people tried and were they successful?
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Having sat in a factory stock Ledge, it definitely felt like it had some room to come in a bit.
Last edited by Cheeks on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Loomis
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Open or Decked?

These measurements are taken on the inside of the plastic... not measuring at the inside of the wood/gunnel at the dead center of the boat... not at the thwarts.

My more stock open version is 22-1/2" at the center but maintains it's width more going towards the bow and stern.

My modded boat is 21-1/4" at the center but it gets narrower going towards the bow and stern much faster.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

Open

I was measuring the boat at each thwart, from center of bolt. I will measure in the center from inside plastic to plastic. Does pulling it in add noticeable liveliness?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

DougB wrote:Open

I was measuring the boat at each thwart, from center of bolt. I will measure in the center from inside plastic to plastic. Does pulling it in add noticeable liveliness?
Not every thwart is placed exactly the same... but they're really close based on the one's I've checked. Yes... pulling it in will make it a bit more lively... pulling it in too much can make it a handfull for some folks. Test a few pieces of cheap scrap and see what you like the best.
Gary B
Pain Boater

Post by Gary B »

Craig, Does it make a big difference with the width? I just finished cutting the top off my L'edge and put wood gunwales on it - but forgot to measure it before hand, so I guessed. The inside width at the center is now at 21 7/8". I was happy with the stability before I cut the top off. Do you think it is too narrow now? I rather fix it now while I have all the tools out...
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Gary B wrote:Craig, Does it make a big difference with the width? I just finished cutting the top off my L'edge and put wood gunwales on it - but forgot to measure it before hand, so I guessed. The inside width at the center is now at 21 7/8". I was happy with the stability before I cut the top off. Do you think it is too narrow now? I rather fix it now while I have all the tools out...
try it out and let us know... it's going to be different for everyone... for many many reasons it probably doesn't pay to list.

you can make all kinds of thwarts and play with the widths to find out what you like best. if you want to keep it stable... don't overpull it. this pretty much applies to any OC.

I prefer the more stock width boat for big stuff or on runs where tripping an edge might have dire consequences... it's more stable and more loose. for general horsing around and river running... the snappier version is a hoot. I'm lucky... I have a few of 'em to play with.

more stock boat on the left... snappier on the right (the bow and stern width of the boat on the right are much closer together)
Gary B
Pain Boater

Post by Gary B »

Thanks! I'll give it shot the way it is.
fishhead
c

L'edge width

Post by fishhead »

I have very limited time in a L'edge, but I did pull in the gunwales on an ME and a Whitesell back in the day, and it had an alarming tendency to take some of the rocker out of the boat. We were looking to make it easier to get a vertical forward stroke, but in those instances we found we had also pushed the ends down a bit and lost some maneuverability. Anyone else seen that happen?
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Craig, I believe it's time for you to work your thread history magic! :)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Craig says that didn't happen unless there are pictures. I took measurements but not pictures. Oh, well, next time I guess.