Recommend Swift Water Rescue Course

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Recommend Swift Water Rescue Course

Post by Todhunter »

I'm looking for a good swift water rescue course in the southeast sometime between now and Spring 2012. I have picked up a Shredder this year to take kids in the youth group at church out in, and I think if I can tell their parents that I am SWR certified, that will go a long way in them letting their children go boating with me. I hope to never have to use the skills, but they will be good to have. And I won't be taking first-timers down the Cheoah or anything, more like the Nantahala - the certification is more peace of mind for the parents.

So recommend me a course / instructor, when they do the course, about what I should expect to pay, and any special gear I will need (if any) for the course.

Thanks.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

Sorry I can't really suggested any providers down there. Don't know the area very well.

However as for gear, all you should need is your normal boating gear. A bonus would be having a rescue harness on your PFD, as you'll likely use it for live bait rescues, etc...but I've seen people take SRT courses without it.

There is other gear involved of course but a good course provider should have all that (ropes/biners/pulleys/etc.). After the course is over, it'll be up to you to go out and buy your own gear so you can use your skills (if necessary).
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

There is an ACA Level 4 Swiftwater Rescue course scheduled on the Tuckasegee River in Bryson City NC for 8/19-8/21 2011:

http://www.americancanoe.org/events/eve ... ?id=170916
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Check with Charlie W. He provides them based on class size in WV. Don't think you can do better than that... just expect a LONG weekend!

Hear Creeker puts on a good class too! More NE in location.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Here's one ... in SC

BTW can anyone add to point of the discussion about which certification to seek out.... it's about this topic????

http://alabamawhitewater.com/forum/phpB ... a1f108e501
Last edited by philcanoe on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    Bill M
    C Guru

TSRA

Post by Bill M »

TSRA has 2 every year. I know several of the instructors and they are good. I think they are done for this year but try paddletsra.com to find info.
    Bill
    esprit
    C Guru

Swiftwater Rescue Course

Post by esprit »

We have an interesting course running Dec. 31 to Jan. 7.

It combines a Mexico Week of Rivers trip with a 3 day Rescue course in the place of our 3 day Barranca Grande trip. So you get your course plus 3 days of paddling, all your food and accommodations and a great holiday at the same time.

We already have minimum #s for the course to run.

PM me if you want any more info.

Jim
    ian123
    CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I took a WRT course with Esprit and it was really great. Very busy days, but surprizingly fun also.
    Eli
    The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

Esprit is awesome and Jim is excellent.
    Closer to home, you could check with Landmark Learning www.landmarklearning.org. I normally teach a couple of ACA swiftwater courses through them each year. I know they also offer Rescue 3 International courses, but you probably would prefer the ACA version.
    Landmark offers numerous courses throughout the year. The closest to you I am aware of would be At Young Harris College in the Spring, but I don't know if it is open to non-students.
    When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
    www.thecanoeguru.com
    Todhunter
    Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Eli wrote:Esprit is awesome and Jim is excellent.
    Closer to home, you could check with Landmark Learning www.landmarklearning.org. I normally teach a couple of ACA swiftwater courses through them each year. I know they also offer Rescue 3 International courses, but you probably would prefer the ACA version.
    Landmark offers numerous courses throughout the year. The closest to you I am aware of would be At Young Harris College in the Spring, but I don't know if it is open to non-students.
    Thanks, Eli. I'll keep an eye out on your calendar for the next course you are leading and try to make that. Your calendar only goes through July 2011...are you leading any courses for the remainder of this year?
    Matt Todhunter
    Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
    dwd58
    Pain Boater

Russel fork

Post by dwd58 »

Russell Fork ---East Ky ...Doug Davis and Brian Sandmann August 20th and 21st.
    chriscanoe
    Pain Boater

Post by chriscanoe »

Todd, NOC use to do one, although it was not a certification class.
    It was pretty intense I thought at the time (15-17 years ago), maybe a 3 day class.
    PBR ME ASAP!!
    TheKrikkitWars
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

There really is no substitute for the Rescue 3 WRT/SRT Unit 1 courses...

(Rescue 3 considers them equivalent, and both are valid for moving to SRT-Advanced; but only the SRT Unit 1 is NFPA recognised as the WRT is focused on Boaters/Guides and cuts out a lot of the techniques that rely on equipment you wouldn't normally have with you).
    Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
    fishhead
    c

SWR class

Post by fishhead »

Mr Todhunter! Have not seen you since the Yough last year.

One caution about SWR classes & "certification":

Participation does not equal certification. ACA certifies instructors, not participants in a class. ACA can provide a record of your participation, but not a certification of your ability. If you take an ACA course you will be able to say that you completed the course, but the ACA will not provide certification that you mastered all the skills involved. Rescue 3 DOES provide certification of skills, largely because their curriculum is aimed at firefighters and rescue professionals whose performance of skills has to be documented before they can respond to specialized call outs.

I know this sounds like splitting hairs but as a SWR instructor I see confusion about this point frequently. The SWR classes, even those provided by Rescue 3, move through a lot of material very quickly and real mastery of the skills is only gained after many hours of practice. Anyway, you'll be able to tell parents you've taken a rescue course.
    driftwood
    C Guru

Post by driftwood »

Tod

dito the bit on certification, ACA is the industry standard though

go to the land mark learning web page and check them out
    have taken a number of different courses with them to stay up on certs for work and all have been high quality.

http://www.landmarklearning.org/

John (still wants pics of the dooly impersonation)
    Will dance for rain