What would make slalom racing more appealing to you?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

((chastised))

to inflict punishment on (as by whipping.... :) you here - looking for fun?
kaz wrote:..., I'll be chastised for saying that I might be chastised! We'll see.
regards,
John Kaz....
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    philcanoe
    C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

I'm thinking maybe more easy class three races... that are easy, fast, fun (do-able). :roll: For maybe these awkwardly done class two, are really not that appealing overall.
      TheKrikkitWars
      CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

philcanoe wrote:I'm thinking maybe more easy class three races... that are easy, fast, fun (do-able). :roll: For maybe these awkwardly done class two, are really not that appealing overall.
      I don't think we're thinking *quite* the same thing, but I pretty much agree with what you're saying.
      Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
      Craig Smerda
      L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

having fast current and gradient is nice... and I feel people actually learn more from using it on a slalom course when it's an option.

if I wanted to paddle flat or barely moving water... I'd rather go fishing instead.
      Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
      KNeal
      CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

kaz wrote:"Kaz, you don't even race anymore, your thoughts don't really matter."
      Speaking of which, why are you even bothering to post a thought since you are not racing anymore. :lol: :wink:

Out of all the great suggestions, and they are great suggestions (even Kaz's :P ), one important item has not been addressed yet. It takes race directors and locations and volunteers to run any level of event--okay, that was 3 items. :oops:

Paddler-friendly courses and knarlyier courses all need someone to oversee it and bring volunteers together. Yes, you can recommend boaters to help with course setup and takedown, but there still needs to be timers and gate judges. I see that as a major kink in bringing together more races. You can have a course most anywhere, but you need people present to help with logistics. :(

On another note, there certainly can be "club-level" races where paddling clubs can get things going. Events can be low-key without gate judges and using single pole gates. Lower volunteer needs, more racer opportunities. :D Moving away from an olympic-style, oriented event would probably be a huge benefit.

Next item to discuss, event insurance. :x
      C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
      Stingray
      C Guru

Post by Stingray »

For those reasons mentioned above there needs to be a pool of people to draw from for volunteers and more racers.
      I think the ACA should create a collision with Boy & Girl Scout of America. Offer them a free year membership or free insurance or free instruction or something, if they enroll and paddle a OC at any local slalom race. We want to make sure they paddle OC then to C1.
      PAC
      CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Stingray posted....
      ACA should create a collision with Boy & Girl Scout of America. Offer them a free year membership or free insurance or free instruction or something, if they enroll and paddle a OC at any local slalom race.
      A really good thought....But good luck with that... :cry:

White water seems to be outside of the BSA / GSA comfort zone. Not just at the national and regional levels but at the troop level too. Mostly due to insurance and legal issues. :-?

I offer to get kids out through the local troops and paddling club (boys and girls) but unless the kid really, really wants it it doesn't happen.

Mostly because the troop volunteers are not comfortable with being part of a white water event. Even though there is a canoe and white water badge for BSA, and a Extreme badge for GSA that can include white water. Most volunteers have a car / trailer approach to scouting - very hard to shift that mind set.

Not saying it could not happen but unless there is instruction (certified and insured) I don't think it will happen.

Not to mention the difficults associated with providing boats.

I'm not being negative here since personally I thing if ACA could partner up with BSA / GSA it would be a win-win.
      Paul C.
      Cboats Moderator
      Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
      Stingray
      C Guru

Post by Stingray »

Big sponsors like Beer Company, Sports Drinks, Banks, Insurance Company (ha ha), Towns to put up prize money.
      TheKrikkitWars
      CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Stingray wrote:Beer... Sports Drinks
      Same thing surely?

(On a serious note, drinking 1-2 beers every other day is linked with improvements in cardiovascular health and mild performance gains in amateur athletes)

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
      philcanoe
      C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

for more people to help ...
        eddyhops
        CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

kaz wrote: I personally feel that it's time we tried OC slalom racing with 5 second gate penalties. Try it for a year. If it doesn't work out, go back to 10. Simple, right? Wouldn't it be fun to actually try to paddle as fast as you can through a race course without watching if your stern is going to hit a gate? I watch some racers take up to 10 seconds to try to clean a gate, and it's all because of the 10 second penalty. Nobody wants a penalty.
        If this is such an issue, as it appears to be with so many... why not make it as the Olymics, World Cup, etc...

... raise all the dam-n poles to chest level. All poles could be snuck, then everyone can crank up the speed! I'd love to try to rip through a course like that. With this latitude more offsets, reversal gates, and other dynamic fun stuff could be added to the courses. Also, this would eliminate some boats with more or less sheer or freeboard having an advantage/disadvantage over other boats at certain gates.
        JD
        TheKrikkitWars
        CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

doomroller wrote:I agree that more women would really help. I remember going to races with lot's of chicks as a younger lad.
        I can see that; when I was about 15 going to a big slalom event seemed a good way to meet girls who might share my interests...
        Now of course going clubbing seems like a good way to meet girls and going to a slalom seems like a good way to ya'know go boating, compete, and possibly have a few beers after the event without unduly bothering the women who want to do the same thing... If you see what I'm getting at.
        Still luv 10 second penalties. You still paddle fast, and also really care if you hit a gate. There are moves with an open boat the a 5 second penalty would determine that bailing on the move and hitting the gate is better.
        But the honest truth is you don't paddle all that fast; Coming into an upstream with a low gateline and a big penalty, you sure as hades won't sprint flat out at it plant a big telemark/duffek stroke to turn you and get sprinting back out as soon as you've set up your intended charc through it and onwards to victory.

When the rules of a sport make it slower than it nessecarily could be without making it any fairer or funner, then the rules need changing.