Contact cement and brushes... what to do?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philcanoe
C Maven

Contact cement and brushes... what to do?

Post by philcanoe »

Was slopping the contact cement around this morning, and wondered if this tidbit was ever posted. I use the big gallon can of contact cement ( Big Red - no not sponsored)... an have found that the cheapest (less than a dollar) of china bristle can be left hanging in the can, and then used for what appears forever. I do this by tying a piece of plastic wrap (piece of Wal-Mart Bag this time) through end hole, and simply closing lid upon the wrap. Just hang bristles into glue, and you're ready to go come next job....
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    kaz
    Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

I always use a wedge shaped piece of minicell, approx 2" wide by 4" long. I actually re-use this piece of foam dozens of times. Cheap? Perhaps.

JKaz
    TheKrikkitWars
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I used to just jam the whole brush in a 1:1:1:1 mixture of gasoline, toluene, chloroform and ether) and seal it in up in a jar... nothing seems to be able to set then (unfortunately, I'm not able to easily obtain the ingredients for that mix at the moment).
    Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
    RodeoClown
    BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I do what Phil says once the can gets down low enough to just drop the brush in without losing it. Until then, I leave the brush sitting on the (closed) lid of the can. A minute or so of exposure to fresh contact cement, and it's good as new. (I feel the same effect sometimes).
    Jeremy Laucks
    Owner, Blackfly Canoes
    http://www.blackflycanoes.com
    Craig Smerda
    L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

cheap foam wood handled brushes found in the paint department work well too. I've used the Kaz method before... but it's nice to have something to hold onto.

use 'em for one outfitting job and chuck 'em for less than fiddy-cent
    Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
    pblanc
    CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I use the little metal handled acid brushes available at any hardwood store which are quite cheap.

After applying contact cement I give them a wipe with a paper towel then clean them off with a little paint thinner. I can usually use each one dozens of times.
    oopsiflipped
    CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

oh, thank you phil! it's been so long since we could sing the praised of weldwood here!

i'm with kaz, minicell!

weldwood is the only thing i ever for to walmart for. qts there are cheaper per oz than gallons at lowe's.
    iRolled
    BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Just a rigid piece of cardboard. I've never gonne back to brushes.

Now, what type of glue should i use to glue my saddle to the boat. 8)
    Team Blackfly
    http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;