Vancouver, BC - "Tamihi Five-0" OC Slalom, Sep 18

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

The water is always cold in the coastal mountains, so there's always drysuits around.

This is this a 'warm' time of year because the snow & glacial melt has slowed, and, relatively speaking, the Chilliwack isn't super cold, because it has a lake up top. So, on a decent day, when you don't think you're going to get too wet, you can get away with a t-shirt, but a swim would always be chilling. If you want to play/roll or are otherwise pushing it, you might as well wear the drysuit.

For many, it's just their default paddling wear, except for the few smokin' hottest summer days, especially on the east side of the Coast Mountains, the water is warmer in the interior (or maybe I just go there when the weather is really nice?). It's not uncommon to see this mix. It may also be whoever doesn't think they'll swim that day, or just whoever hasn't invested in a drysuit yet!

Also, there were demo drysuits from Kokatat, so that may account for some.

Same is mix is true for the streets of Vancouver, on any given day it seems you may see somebody in a t-shirt and somebody in a puffy down jacket.

By all means, if any cboatsters need to pass through Vancouver, shoot to do it in mid-Sept - it was great to have Keez (Toronto) and Outrage Dave (UK) drop in this year!

Pat.
keez
C Guru

dry-suit/slalom

Post by keez »

Thanks again Pat, trust me it was my pleasure to attend your well run and fun event.

As for the dry-suit; I'll leave it at home next time I paddle slalom. Was sweating my back-side off with just a polypro layer underneath.

I do agree with your advise to use the dry-suit if play boating.
Keez
hmatt

results

Post by hmatt »

Pat, Pat, Pat…

Remember, it’s not about winning, it’s about building a stronger paddling community, improving skills, and in the long run hopefully developing more class III/IV canoeists (to replace my friends who keep having babies :) ). The best result for this year is that we quadrupled women participants with 4 tandem teams and 5 solo boats, and also had our first adult/child racers.

And what was all that brown nosing about, you must want me to help out with another event you are dreaming up.

Since I’ve got the final results first, I get to interpret them. And based on our tandem and solo runs, I’d say I won.
1)Heather/Merryl (88.66) 2) Pat/Amy (88.94)
1) Heather/Keez (111.07) 2) Pat/Outragedave (124.22)
1) Pat (85.42) 2) Heather (86.67)

One second more to gain in solo…see you next year.

Some more results below so I can try to embarrass some other CBoaters. Full report coming soon to the T50 site.

Men’s Solo
Charlie 61.32
Marc L 66.05
J. Muir 81.20
Kieran 83.06
PYarnell 85.42
Bob C 88.81
Roscoe 93.27
PSaini 94.14
Nfried 97.00
Skooks 101.34
OutrageDave 102.32
Keez 102.34
Alain 105.40
Claude 109.23
M Moody 112.00
D. Watts 115.25
J Bollerman 121.80
keez
C Guru

T50 times

Post by keez »

Hey; I thought I posted a time of ~92 secs. Didn't remember touching a gate.
Thanks again for a great event.

Heather; we must have posted the best time when you were steering!!
Keez
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Heather,

Tandem-schmandem. I'll take that second (and a bit!)! If you were allowed to kiss a pole, I'd be King! Suddenly I'm really liking the 2-second penalty instead of our 10-seconds!! (Not really) As race founder, maybe I should mess with the rules and allow each boat 1 "gimme" touch!! (Not really)

See you next year indeed - that's what the set-up is about, pumping up your experience to cushion my eventual defeat to a girl. You took a pretty big chomp out of the separation this year!

Pat.