Dagger RPM Max as C1...thoughts?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

fjefman
c

Dagger RPM Max as C1...thoughts?

Post by fjefman »

So I saw the light earlier this year and have been slowly moving away from being a kayaker to being a canoeristperson ;-)

I've been paddling a Dagger RPM Max for years and love the boat for what it is. I'm strongly considering converting it for use as a C1. Does anybody have any thoughts on how good this platform would serve as a C1?

I'd love to hear from someone who has done this before...better yet, some thoughts on where exactly I should put the saddle.

Thanks,

Jeff
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Its got that rounded hull so it will be twitchy. Not to mention leg / knee spread. If, at your size, you can get in it with wide knee placement it might work for you. It will teach you (being twitchy) and help get the roll down. Its a good kayak so it should work....

Oh, If you go there I know someone looking for an RPM seat.

Keep us posted & good luck!

PS: Scott B uses a Score which is simular. Do a search on Score. and or Redline.... Example...
http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... ight=score
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I wouldn't say the Score is similar at all...

I almost posted on this last night. My only experience with an RPM was an RPM-not-a-max and it was like a log. Easy to roll (and overroll and overroll and overroll) but nigh on impossible for me to keep up except on a constant brace. But... that was a long time ago and a Max is bigger than a not-a-max. So, YMMV. I *do* think there are better boats out there from that next generation of boats when they got 1-2" wider and flatter (and still not expensive.)

The Score accomodates me at 220# and is *very* stable, fast enough, surfs great, and I can sink the ends when I want to. But... if you are looking at an RPM Max, that might not be what you are looking for - a Dagger GT (the bigger one)?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

You are right Scott my bad... had to look at images to refresh TOG memory.

fjefman - what class river you going to be boating? Might not be the best choice for starting out in unless you don't mind getting wet... a lot.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
fjefman
c

Post by fjefman »

Thanks for the comments so far. I guess I should clarify a bit by saying I'm not exactly new to being a canoister, I actually started off my whitewater career in a canoe. I did however, quickly pick up kayaking which is what I've been doing most of for the past 20 years.

I picked up canoeing again because I got a bit bored with kayaking and I find canoes more comfortable.

I currently have 5 canoes and my current whitewater canoe is a Mohawk Viper 12 and love the way it handles. I've got a really good roll, don't mind at all getting wet, and like to paddle rivers like to paddle class III and IV rivers (I'll do tougher stuff in my Kayak).

My current C-1 is a Dagger Animas. I've only paddled it a few times and while a good start into C-1 I'm already bored with it. I'd like something a bit sportier. I've had my RPM Max for 10 years and am very comfortable in it in III and IV water.

I've been trying to figure out what would be thebest C1 for me for a while and can't make up my mind. I'm 6'4" and 215lbs so I need a bigger boat. I also have a bad ankle so I need a seat in the 8" range. I realize this is tall for a c-1 which is why I would prefer a bigger more stable boat (I figure with my size and weight I can still coax it into doing what I want). I, think/hope the RPM is that boat. I guess I can always convert it and if it doesn't work retrofit it back and try something else.

Blah blah blah...I'll hush up now...if you read this far congrats to you.
So, any other thoughts on a C1 conversion of an RPM Max?

Thanks,

Jeff
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

What type hull do you prefer on a kayak, the flatter planning hull or the more rounded displacement bottoms?

For me with only limited kayak time - I prefer an edger hull, as this is my control on the offside. Otherwise with a more rounded hull (with less edges) it forces me into more offside strokes. There's different schools of thought on the benefits and detriments of both, so I'll refrain from editorializing. And of course these days there are several hulls with some of both features.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    cheajack
    CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

If you are paddling a Dagger Animas as a C-1,then my hat is off to you. The RPM Max should be no problem. However, I think you would be much happier with a less roundish more stable hull. You should fit any of the larger sized creekers and they are definitely better choices than the RPM for C-1 conversion.
    fjefman
    c

Post by fjefman »

PhilCanoe, good question about my preference for a flat or rounded hull. Most of my paddling has been in a rounded hull so I'm very comfortable with them. Having said that, I love the edges on my Viper...lean it like a motorcycle (my favorite toys) and it turns. So, I probably would prefer a C1 with an edgier hull.

But I guess now that I think more about this, since I just picked up a Microbat 250 for very cheap and plan to use it as my sole kayak, I want to convert the RPM simply because I already have the boat and it will cost very little to do so.

I'm planning on pulling the Harmony C1 seat from the Animas and putting it in the RPM so it won't take a lot of effort to convert the RPM to C1. I'll paddle it for a while and keep on the lookout for an C1 donor with an edgier hull.

Cheajack,
    As I said above, I think you are right that I would prefer an edgier boat, but I'll adapt a line here from what we used to say in the motorcycle suspension industry, "the best you've paddled is the best you know." I'd go with an edgier boat if I had it, but I don't so I'll figure out the RPM and in my mind it will be the best ever. Ignorance is bliss, right? ;-)

Thanks again for all the comments, it is really helping me think through the choices.

Jeff
    pyc1
    C Boater

Post by pyc1 »

I once borrowed a RPM conversion and paddled it down the Ocoee. I liked it fine, but missed the edges. I have a Redline now that I love. Try looking for a used one, or maybe an Axiom, which seems to be the current iteration. I weigh 195, btw.