Kevlar Outrage?'s and Rhumba?'s

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

lostriverghoat
c

Kevlar Outrage?'s and Rhumba?'s

Post by lostriverghoat »

I have been reading the older posts about kevlar canoes and keep seeing people talk about a kevlar Outrage was this a one-off thing or does Mad River make them upon request?
Does any one have a review of the Rhumba and Pics?
River Ghoat
pier
C Boater

Post by pier »

I seen a kevlar carbon outrage in the dvd of Tom Foster but I think it was a bell outrage, it seam the outrage XL but I don't knw anything else. I think that Rumba is out production for Kaz, but he can give u same more info
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Bell made the Outraged.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I don't know if anyone here knows the exact number of Outraged's that were made, but my impression was 4-6. Since Bell is currently in limbo, I do not believe they would be available for order, however, if the Bell situation is rectified, that might change.
lostriverghoat
c

Post by lostriverghoat »

Thanks, I thought wow I like to see that. Sorry to hear about Bell. I feel late in the game.
I am just getting started canoeing and am addicted. I took my Whitesell down the Tuckaseege the speed on moving water compared to my kayak was amazing. I am not claustrophobic but I really like the openness of the canoe. I grabbed a drink of water in an eiddie with out pulling the skirt and even had a place to put down paddle. Now I am looking at composite canoes. I don't like what I keep hearing about Royalex and Twin-tex so whats left kevlar and glass. I am going to keep looking at Millbroke Boats.
I wrote John Kazimierczyk and he was helpful. Thanks to John Kazimierczyk for his email and for this great place for c-boating information.
Mike Moody
c

Post by Mike Moody »

You should also consider Clipper Canoes (Western Canoe and Kayak) They make a really really nice kevlar duraflex Viper11.
http://www.westerncanoekayak.com/
http://www.clippercanoes.com/category.php?cat_id=7
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Blackfly makes some pretty sick boats. Plastic boats handmade in NH.
lostriverghoat
c

Post by lostriverghoat »

Oh I plan on getting a Plastic oc1 also and black fly canoes are in the running for that.
I feel the sickness coming on now I am going to need three canoes. One for solo river running (a composite light fast canoe)
One for creeking/park and huck (plastic)
One for taking the kids and river trips (?)
Oh man my wife is going to kick my rear if she reads this.
River Ghoat
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I wouldn't discount a royalex boat so quickly... I think we talk a lot about its problems around here because it's "what we've always had." I think that the advantage of royalex is that it is much lighter than the plastic boats, and much more forgiving that anything but a very heavy composite layup. Buy the hull that you want to paddle first, then worry about material. Particularly since you are starting out in WW canoe, I don't think you will be going through a hull in a year or two unless you really buy something that has already seen better days.

Also on the Twintex (Zephyr), many more companies are able to repair it now, so if you test-paddle a Zephyr, and like it, ask around at the shops that do repairs and see if someone has ever worked on one. They really are nice boats. One of my favorite things about Esquif is that they are continuing to push the envelope of not only designs, but also materials. Yes, they only put out one or two hulls in these new materials and move on to the next thing, but each one helps advance the state of the art. We've seen that with the Zephyr, the Taureau, and, to an much lesser extent, the L'Edge.

Shep
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

I own both the Mad River Outrage and the Bell Outraged. The Outrage does many things very well. The Outraged, due to its significantly lower weight, operates at a quantum level above the Outrage. If it could handle rocks it would be my primary boat for all but the steepest creeks. I plan on doing the Lower Gauley in the Outraged at Gauley Fest if anyone would to try it.