Spare paddle mounts - post some pics?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Spare paddle mounts - post some pics?

Post by ohioboater »

I paddled with a guy a few weeks ago who had a pretty cool setup for holding his spare OC paddle: shock cord across the deck plate to hold the blade, and some sort of quick release on the thwart to hold the t-grip. Didn't occur to me at the time to look closely at how the thwart mount was set up, but I'm guessing someone on here has come up with a similar idea.

Anybody want to post a pic of their paddle keeper setup? Long boat, of course.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

North Water sells a paddle anchor for this:

http://www.northwater.com/html/products ... nchor.html

Things like ski straps and Velcro power straps work too. In longer boats I just shove the blade under the deck, in my Ocoee there is bungee on top of the deck, as you describe.

P.
Hans Vidkjer
Pain Boater

thwart smart

Post by Hans Vidkjer »

The thwart smart is a good solution. Similar to the paddle anchor previously posted.
http://shop.scottcanoe.com/Thwart-Smart-00041-T.htm
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

You can buy velcro tape from just about any fabric or hobby store. make two loops that interlock, one goes around the thwart, one around the paddle shaft. You can make about 10 of them for the price of the thwart smart.
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

I use "Bungee Dealy Bobs" for tying down all sorts of things. Would probably do the trick...

http://www.oldscoutoutdoorproducts.com/index.html
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Ive got a bungy atatched to the forward deck plate, across so at to hold the blade and (depenting on outfitting) have either double sided velcro, or the esquif bungy outfitting for knee staps holding the Tee grip against the thwarts.

Of course for smaller boats I just have a Frank-N-Breakdown shoved inside under the bags.
Proud Yankee
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Velcro - duh

Post by ohioboater »

I've got a bunch of velcro and a sewing machine. Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner... :oops:
sbroam wrote:Image
Back when I was a teenager in MO, I worked with a guy who used to carry a sawed off shotgun like that strapped to the inside of his canoe when paddling on Ozark float streams. Never understood why he needed it, other than the fact that he was a testosterone poisoned gun nut.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Maybe he thought Deliverance was a documentary? I have to admit I've considered similar when paddling back in the swamps around here that are populated with gators and hogs...
Hans Vidkjer
Pain Boater

Post by Hans Vidkjer »

Maybe he thought Deliverance was a documentary?

Sh*t, you mean it's not?!
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

good point

Post by ohioboater »

sbroam wrote:I have to admit I've considered similar when paddling back in the swamps around here that are populated with gators and hogs...
Or up in grizzly country, though a 12 ga might not do more than piss off a brown bear.

Biggest threat on MO rivers like the Current is burned retinas from overweight, drunken rental customers exposing themselves.
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Stingray
C Guru

Post by Stingray »

I really like the look of the T grip and paddle shaft. have you ever use it.
Stingray
C Guru

Post by Stingray »

What I really need is the set up that sbroam showed us. I'm a gun toting canoeist. I do a bit duck & goose hunting. This year I hope I can float out with a deer in my canoe. My freezer needs a fresh supply to help me through winter.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

Go to a police auction. Those are the racks that many agencies use to mount rifles and shotguns in cars. In addition to shotguns they make them for AR-15's, and M-14's. You could even wire them into your bilge pump's battery so the electric quick release button would work for those situations where the wascally wabbit is on the bank and you need to blast him now!

I have always just hung the spare paddle in the bag cage.

Kyle