Russell Fork

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sganarelle
Pain Boater

Russell Fork

Post by sganarelle »

Any beta on places to camp? How to find people to paddle with? I would only be able to do the Upper and Lower parts.
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

Great camping up in the park. There's also good camping at Ratliff Hole (camping allowed on release weekends and holidays only if I understand it right - this is a change from previous years). Rat Hole can be a bit rowdy, and the bathroom / water situation is crummy - it is a beautiful campsite though. Sometimes Rat Hole fills up pretty quick. There used to be free camping at Carson Island in Elkhorn City, but there has been some kind of situation with the landowners this year and I am not sure about the camping availability (No RF Rendezvous this year :( ). Keep booze in cups at any campsite, there are rumors of tighter regulations this year. Finding people to boat with should be easy, hang out at the dam put in for the upper and there will be tons of groups. Probably be easier to get with a group on the upper and then listen for lower plans. Have fun, they are great runs, and the scenery on the upper is spectacular!

Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.