adhesive for hard d rings

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ELGOTTO
C Guru

adhesive for hard d rings

Post by ELGOTTO »

I'm not sure of the exact material but the color is light gray and hard like plastic. In the past I have glued them to the vinyl layer of royalex using 3M Scotch-Weld 3532 B/A Urethane but I'm wondering if there is another adhesive that will hold just as well but is not as expensive as the 3M stuff. About 39 bucks for a 2 ounce kit.
Kris
C Boater

Post by Kris »

If it is to glue vinyl pads, you can use PVC glue for pvc pipes
Regards Kris
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

The cost of that adhesive is another reason that I'm glad I won't use those hard, sharp little d-rings anymore!

I've had bad luck with thos d-rings breaking, and also with the hull cracking around those hard anchors. Some people advise to round the corners, but now I prefer just not to consider them!

Don't mean to bum you out if you're going to use them, but I guess I'm still bitter about all the cracks in my hull that are clearly associated with these anchors. :evil:

Pat.
Last edited by yarnellboat on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

Actually I should have given a little more info on what I'm doing. I have some that are about 3/4 inch wide and the d ring is plastic instead of steel so they are extremely light duty attachments. I plan to put a few in the bottom of the boat to hold down drink bottles or to attach a bungee cord for holding down a pump. I don't use them for attaching thigh or knee straps or anything that takes a lot of stress.
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

ELGOTTO wrote:I have some that are about 3/4 inch wide and the d ring is plastic instead of steel so they are extremely light duty attachments.
Mind sharing where you found them?

I've used G flex but only in composite hulls, never tried it in Rx
It AIN'T bent.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Some of the cracks I've had have been around those anchors used for light-duty purposes!

One that was an attachment as an air bag tie-down cracked my hull when the bag overinflated. My bad, but I don't think a wider, more flexible vinyl anchor would've resulted in a crack. The crack was easy enough to repair and has not been a problem for years, so no biggie really, but still, I'd prefer to avoid creating cracks in my hull.

Other cracks have resulted from blows to the hull beneath the anchors. So, regardless of what they are holding, water bottle, pump, whatever, if your boat takes a good whack on the outside, the probabilty of it cracking the inside of your hull goes up if it's near one of these hard-edged anchors.

Pat.
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

Clarion I found them in a box full of junk in an outfitters store and I'm guessing the owner doesn't know where they came from but I will ask him when I see him this weekend and report back. I appreciate the warning on the problems that have been caused by the hard anchors but I've got to say that I have three boats that have them in there for various uses and I've never had a problem in seven years. Knock on wood...or royalex!
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

Use JBWeld - cheap and never had issues wid holding, long as scuffed up and surfaces cleaned off well. Drill couple holes in flat sections of plate to let JB mushroom through.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Yeah, I'm sure there are lots of folks who use these, like these and have had no problems. But based on my experience (the particular rocks I've landed on with my particular boat), I figure it's worth a mention.

I agree JB Weld is a good, cheap alternative to the 3M.

Pat.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

clarion wrote:
ELGOTTO wrote:I have some that are about 3/4 inch wide and the d ring is plastic instead of steel so they are extremely light duty attachments.
Mind sharing where you found them?

I've used G flex but only in composite hulls, never tried it in Rx
If you really want them, you can get the smaller ones with the 1 inch wide plastic D-ring from Western Canoeing and Kayaking in Abbotsford BC:

http://www.westerncanoekayak.com/produc ... on_id=5651
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

G-flex works just as well as 3M 3532 for those pads. The smaller, 4 oz bottles of G-flex will cost less than half of what 3532 is costing now. Both adhesives adhere very well to the vinyl outer layer of Royalex. G-flex should be thickened and brought up the sides of the pad.

I have used Vynabond for the pads, but it does not last. It fails sooner or later, in spite of great care in application. Vynabond does not create the sort of high stress bond needed to keep a small pad on the Royalex.