Rescue throw bag?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hammerhead
C Guru

Rescue throw bag?

Post by hammerhead »

Any suggestions regarding rescue throw bags? I am currently looking @ a bag that I can keep in my c-1 or on my person. 55 ft seems to be a popular length & would fit my needs. There are too many to choose from & I need to narrow the field. Thanks in advance...
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I d go with with a 60-70ft 3/8" spectra. One bag to do it all.

Throw bags are all about "what if's?". No one plans to need a rope. So why not get the best one you can. You may get buy with a one of those sissy 1/4" polypro bags most of the time but you ll look/feel stupid if you ever need it for something serious.

Try Hooligan or Northwater.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Because a 70' 3/8" bag won't fit on your person, or in many C1's....
A 55ft bag of 1/4" is a good solution when space is at a premium, but do buy GrabLine, or Spectra, or whatever the stronger-than-poly option is. You'll only regret it the day you write the check, but you may very well need the extra strength eventually.

The NRS Guardian Pro waist throw bag is a good option for a compact bag that you will automatically carry when you get out of your boat. I like the Astral Spectra Throw too. It is only 45 feet, but if you have an Astral jacket it fits right in front. That said, I don't own either one of these. I have a harmony compact bag that is a pain in the butt to stuff. Wouldn't buy it again. :roll:

Hope this helps,
Shep
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

70ft of 3/8" is what you should carry if you like your friends. 55' comes up suprisingly quick and most anyone can throw a bag 70'.... Imo you don't really need spectra unless you use a small diameter rope, OR your really geeky and into pulleys and gadgets (sir...step AWAY from the z-drag!) :wink:. If you want to wear a 55' waist bag as well, that's cool. They are handy. just might want to check it every day and make sure it's going to stay in the bag and not play out when your not looking. The Salamander bags are good quality.
Larry
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

I recently bought this one with the belt. Good quality.

http://h2orescuegear.com/rescue-gear/side-arm/
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

ian123 wrote:I d go with with a 60-70ft 3/8" spectra. One bag to do it all.
I agree with Ian. The title of your post was 'rescue throw bag'. If you want a throw bag that you can use for rescues, get 70ft, and get spectra. If you want a throw bag as a decoration that may or may not be helpful for a rescue, then get something shorter/weaker.

I get that space is at a premium...and I'd suggest that you make space somehow. Can you fit a quick-release belt with the throw-bag on top/above your skirt?
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

I agree with some of the statements here, but I have a question that may be a bit off topic. Before I bought my waist worn bag, I noticed Eli was wearing one on the class 1/2 river I paddle with kids in his boat. I agree with carrying a longer rope, but if it's attached to your boat and it gets pinned, don't you have to depend on your friends to have a rope if you aren't wearing one? Sorry if this is an elementary question.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i figure your rope is for your friends.. their rope is for you.
Larry
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

Thanks Larry. Makes sense. I just can't always trust they will have theirs.
jatakasawa
C Guru

Post by jatakasawa »

It's not really the bag....its if you know how to use it. A swiftwater rescue class if priceless. 55ft isn't enough line? You're paying out line and it's being eatin' up quickly...grab your buddy's bag and 'biner them together..bam! Now you've got 110 or 130 feet of line. Keep a carabiner handy and if you're setting up safety, keep more than one bag at your feet. Learn to manage the line in the current and practice your second throw.

I learned some practical lessons at Creeker's swiftwater class and watching Paris get a beatdown at Valley Falls.
Chester the Brace Monkey.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

The Salamander wearable bags are really hard to stuff for the fat fingered impaired.
BobH
C Boater

Post by BobH »

I have used a spectra Salamander bag for about 6 years. Always having the bag on me has resulted in quite a few rescues that might not have happened otherwise. It can even be used to help rescue yourself if you are stuck behind a waterfall or in some other hard to get to place.
Practice throwing any waist worn bag. They are harder to throw then full sized ropes. I throw mine after every trip, coil it, hang it to dry and then re-stuff before the next weekend.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I've got a Beluga with 70' of 5/16" Spectra and a NRS with 75' of 3/8" Grabline. The big rope is easier to hold onto and restuff, but significantly more bulky and difficult to throw overhand which I find gives a faster, further and more accurate throw. I bought the smaller bag for playboating and only carry the big bag when tripping where it is more likely I'll need it for a pin situation.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I have a Hooligan rescue throw bag with 70ft of 3/8 inch spectra rope and a quick release belt. I pretty much use my throw rope on a daily basis as a river guide; for throwbagging people after the cliff jump if they have difficulty swimming back into the eddy or to set up life bait rescue at some key rapids we raft. The bag is, with the exception of when I am squirt boating, always on my body on the QR belt. The only drawback of that setup is that it impedes the ability to do backdeck rolls, but I never really do them anyway.
When throwbagging at jump rock on the Ottawa I need the full 70ft lenth of the bag to reach the swimmer, and the 3/8 inch size has the advantage of being way easier to hold on to by swimmers or rescuers than smaller diameter ropes (rope burn because you can't hold on properly to a smaller rope is no fun) and it also has full strength for any technical rescue scenario that might arise.
And yes, take a Swiftwater Recue Course. Knowing the proper techniques and practicing could safe someone's life some day.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau