Team Mohawk and all things Mohawk

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Ive loved the Prijon and Eskimo Plastic, have owned quite a few if them. I abused one, an Eskimo Salto, and it was easy to reshaped and weld. Best of luck with this Richard. Any projected timeframe on a release date? Before next years ALF would be ideal.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

to me it only makes sense to release the new boat out of the new process at the Tellico Race but we will see I have a lot of work to do and very little time.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Any time is a good time to release a new whitewater canoe. Particularly when it's so easy to use the web and forums like this to distribute information, pictures and video. We're all eyes and ears. Some of us even have money in our pockets.
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

When we had that thread about what new C-boat people wanted to see, I really hoped that Mohawk was listening.

I advocated for a Viper 11 update.
These are classic boats that continue to make for very happy boaters, but at the same time, haven't we learned some things in the past 10-15 years of boat design that could improve on these old stalwarts?

Who wouldn't want a faster, drier, stabler, lighter, more heard-wearing, more surf friendly version of these boats?
(which, of course, still push back and carve like a dream!)

and do it in the original (X) size, and a shorter, snappier size as well.
I grew into whitewater paddling Mohawk boats universally, but when I had to go shopping last spring, they didn't have any new designs to offer. I went with a prelude, but a new Mohawk design would certainly get my attention.
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

You're onto something Richard.

I think the Maxim is a great boat, and if it's a tad longer and wider, and stronger, it will appeal to the masses! I personally like it as is, but it's not for everyone. I look forward to seeing this project unfold.

Good luck!
Adam Trunnell
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I'd love a drier and harder-wearing Viper 11!!

Even if most of them are too small & funny looking, it's awesome that we're having all these new hulls out there!

Personally, about 12' of Royalex has worked pretty well for me, but of course it's much better if that's not the only choice!

Pat (220 lbs).
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

dont forget I am talking to someone about 2 new royalex designs
Richard Guin
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Please don't take this as looking a gift horse in the mouth, but if y'all figure out how to do strap outfitting in a plastic boat, that will be a huge win!

Thanks,
Shep
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Heck Shep give something hard i already have that figured out and the tool to do it. And it will be bomber.
Richard Guin
Virgil3
c

Post by Virgil3 »

2opnboat1 wrote:Heck Shep give something hard i already have that figured out and the tool to do it. And it will be bomber.
That is good to know.

Sheep, thanks for asking for me.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Well, then go ahead and schedule one of the new boats to go to Dave in Fort Smith! I have a friend here who wants a L'Edge or an Option, but won't buy a boat unless his wife can paddle it too. Bulkhead outfitting makes that a no-go.

Really excited to see what's coming!

Shep
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Team Mohawk should be watching out for Pelly Vincent-Braun- he is 12 and been paddling for 13 years now. He has a bomber roll after this summer and getting spins and enders and makes things look easier.

(oh I guess I should proclaim I am his proud father)
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I'm guessing the locations of Team Mohawk paddlers are pretty limited to a tight region, and it's not north or west!

Since going to direct sales only, I've been surprised that Mohawk seems to maintain a decent presence everywhere. I guess that proves they made some decent canoes! People know when they want a Viper 11 or Probe 14. Around here (BC), I think it's helped them a lot that Clipper/Western make some Mohawk hulls in glass.

Am I wrong about all of Mohawk's paddlers and events being based pretty close to the factory?

Pat.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Yukon wrote:he is 12 and been paddling for 13 years now.
wat?
Chris Loomis
kx250guy
Pain Boater

Post by kx250guy »

blow molded eh. they are even hevier than rotomolded boats .
75 lbs maybe?