Outfitting for wide range of paddler sizes

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Outfitting for wide range of paddler sizes

Post by ohioboater »

If you were going to outfit some tandems and solos for school use, which saddle system would be more flexible - Mohawk or Mike Yee?

I love the Mohawk saddle in my solo, and I've paddled boats with Mike Yee outfitting in them before with no complaints, other than it being slightly slower to jump back into the Yee system straps. So from my personal experience, both could be acceptable; however, I'm an average sized guy (5'10", 165 lbs). Most class trips I've run have at least one really big dude and one petite female.

If the same outfitting needs to be able to accommodate both extremes, is one saddle system better than the other?

One other consideration - would either system be easier to move from one hull to another? Given the budget, I could see our program needing to re-use saddles when recycling or surplus auctioning worn out hulls...
Kris
C Boater

Post by Kris »

bulkhead will do fine
Regards Kris
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

The Mohawk system is much easier to repair or move, because the Mike Yee often requires a dogbone D-ring patch underneath the saddle. As far as using one or the other, I prefer the Mike Yee setup, because I feel like it gives me a stronger connection to the boat. I also think that the Mohak system might be less intimidating for less aggressive novice paddlers. I don't think that one has a big advantage over the other for adjusmetn to different paddler sizes.

Have you looked at where the top of the thigh straps connect in the Mike Yee system, and the Mohawk lap belt connect? If they are very close, you might be able to swap back and forth. That could make the boats more adaptable and simplify the quick and dirty repairs that are always necessary sooner or later.

On another note, Mohawk had been offering their "extreme" outfitting, which I think looks quite a bit like the Mike Yee setups. You could have one-stop shopping if you went with lap-belts and "extreme" outfitting.

Hope this helps,
Shep
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Kris wrote:bulkhead will do fine
Regards Kris
As a proponent of bulkehead outfitting I'd love to agree, but...

The Robson/Pyranha (pyranha's version was better) bulkhead system does work reasonably well as adjustable outfitting; but it is limited, at a mere 6'3" I'm not really "big" yet I've had to modify it to get my legs in without pushing it out of position; Equally, I tried to teach someone in my club who's 5'2" to roll it, and he simply couldn't get tight without more foam...

Because adults regularly come in sizes from 4'10" to 6'8" outfitting designed around a minor variance from an average size is not ideal for rental programmes.

A non-movable bulkhead would work even worse, as people too tal would not fit, and people too small would be held in only by the footpegs and not the backrest..
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

As a thick-legged guy, I hate other people's bulkheads. Prevented me from a decent demo of Preludes or L'Edges.

If it were me, I'd use North Water outfitting, maybe even their removable/adjustable saddles (which I have in my Vertige X and like), but that may be a regional bias too, because there's lots of North Water gear around here compared to the others.

Pat.
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Would that new Wenonah adjustable saddle system work?

edit: Maybe not, I looked up the price on their web site:

Fully Adjustable Whitewater Outfitting $ 800.00
Sickboyuk
C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

yarnellboat wrote:As a thick-legged guy, I hate other people's bulkheads. Prevented me from a decent demo of Preludes or L'Edges.

Pat.
The long legged will be fine, but my big thighs are a nightmare with the bulkhead in my prelude (and the clubs fly), I'm still fiddling with the blasted thing after a month (numb feet now), and I know once it fits good the winter will arrive and the drysuit will appear from its summer hibernation and it'll start again. Plus there's so little foam now that nobody else is close to fitting in it properly.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

$800 for Wenonah outfitting? thats insane does it come with a free boat? I was excited to see the outfitting come out but at that price they wont sell very many which is too bad as adjustable for Plastic boats is a big hole in the canoe world
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

If for a school, I'd stay away from too many straps and strings...

You never know when a accident may happen. And what the surviving relatives will do? Several years ago I was interviewed by some some of lawyer (or assistant) in a lawsuit against Perception over small cockpit openings, as I was present when a paddler became entrapped. Even though it was a 2-3 year old boat, and new larger openings had been introduced in the last year -to- year and a half. Case was dropped after much ado, but can you say hostile witness.

What about going old school, with a standard mini-cell saddle, one set of Velcro thigh straps, and Yakima foot braces? It would be the most adjustable, and fit the widest range of sizes.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    ohioboater
    CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

philcanoe wrote:What about going old school, with a standard mini-cell saddle, one set of Velcro thigh straps, and Yakima foot braces? It would be the most adjustable, and fit the widest range of sizes.
    That's what the budget may end up dictating.
    yarnellboat
    C Maven

Loops

Post by yarnellboat »

I agree that's a good way to good, simple is best. Plus, I really like my velcro thigh straps!

Here's somthing else to think about... when buying used, I often have to be creative to work with the existing outfitting, and I often add loops of webbing or cord.

Sometimes it's webbing on a quick release, sometimes it's just cord with stopper knots, sometimes it might be caribiners. These loops can be used to "move" anchor points, "lengthen" straps and "loosen" outfitting, or to raise thigh straps to "tighten" outfitting.

Adding loops from anchors could be useful on occasional when standard outfitting needs to be extended.

Pat.