break down canoe paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:Ab no longer makes the 3 piece (2 piece is a better quality paddle anyways).
might wanna start with a quality paddle, and have it made into a three pc.
Larry
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Select makes a nice 3 piece paddle

Post by Wendy »

They are expensive, but very nice. I paid $240. I meant to order a 54 inch, but have a 57 inch if anyone wants to buy it. New.
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

djutzi wrote:According to AB's website - they only make the Edge in 2-inch intervals...so maybe when you say 57, they just round up?
I ordered and received a 59"

milkman wrote:1. They don't charge extra for their breakdowns. Eddyhops points to a site that sells AB breakdowns for $139. Mine was $99 through my local paddle shop, same as what a single-piece...
Most dealers in my area were saying 20.00 extra to make the two piece (Aqua-Bound also told me this.) +shipping. If your local shop got you an Aqua-Bound 2 piece Edge for $99.00 you got a nice deal.
JD
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Especially since AB had to make two to get me one that was sort of right (still had to trim it). It was actually my local paddle shop that kindly took the reins on this one. They kept the first one and put it up for sale in their shop and ordered me a second one. That's partly why I didn't want to return the second one. They had been noble enough. The paddle shop is Alder Creek Kayak and Canoe in Portland, Oregon. Great supporters of all types of paddling and paddlers.
COcanoe
c

Post by COcanoe »

Anybody done their own conversion of an AB paddle? I have a 58" Odyssey I got super cheap. Finding the spring clips is easy. I'd prefer to make the cut higher up in the shaft but it's ovalized so finding tubing to match could be tough. Cutting lower where the shaft is round might be easier but not sure how far up the blade throat extends.
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

Soar Inflatables sells a two-piece breakdown that is quite nice. Wood, excellent quality, stainless steel coupling, not very costly. At 60" it's too long for most of us but not that big of a deal to shorten it.

I bought one of these for use with my L'Edge. Fits nicely under or along side the rear float bag. Works for me.

Dave
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

dafriend wrote:Soar Inflatables sells a two-piece breakdown that is quite nice. Wood, excellent quality, stainless steel coupling, not very costly. At 60" it's too long for most of us but not that big of a deal to shorten it.
from the website: "...cored blade built of specially selected and processed ponderosa pine that is reinforced with Sawyer's legendary fiberglass and solid fiberglass tip"

have you paddled with it yet? i've seen some sawyer paddles and thought they were some of the worst I've laid eyes on. that and the 'ponderosa pine' really make it hard for me to believe it is a good paddle, even for $80
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

oopsiflipped wrote:have you paddled with it yet? i've seen some sawyer paddles and thought they were some of the worst I've laid eyes on. that and the 'ponderosa pine' really make it hard for me to believe it is a good paddle, even for $80
I've used it. It works well enough for a backup paddle. It will get you down the river with a minimum of drama.

Personally I like Sawyer paddles. Not the most beautiful sticks but the Canyon Guide has proven more durable for me than any other paddle I have owned.
h2sk1
C Guru

AB is available in 3pc

Post by h2sk1 »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:Ab no longer makes the 3 piece (2 piece is a better quality paddle anyways).
I just confirmed with Aquabound -- they still make 3 piece paddles as a special order. Maybe not as strong, but sure convenient if you paddle a C-1 or short boat like a Spanish Fly, Taureau, BlackFly, etc.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

I have an AB three piece, works well in a C1 or shorter boat and it is pretty light weight.