break down canoe paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Chuck Wilkison
c

break down canoe paddle

Post by Chuck Wilkison »

I recently bought an L'edge and I would like to purchace a servicable break down canoe paddle that I hope I will never have to use. I am looking for suggestions and prices if you know them.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

The Aquabound Edge is available as a breakdown, and is definitely serviceable. There was a long thread on this a few months ago.

Shep
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Aquabound doesn't charge any more for a breakdown than a regular paddle. Great deal. Their quality control is suspect though. I ordered a 57" paddle and got a 58". I returned it and they "made" me another 57" only it was 58" as well. At that point, I gave up and shortened myself.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I know some folks (Bob Britt?) are using the Select 3-piece, but it is like $225.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I have a three piece Aquabound Edge and it looks like it will do the job.
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

3-piece AB Edge fits great in my Ion, but I had similar problems as Milkman. I sent them a 58" to be cut down and they didn't measure quite accurately.
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

JD
dcoc1
C Boater

Werner Nantahala Breakdown

Post by dcoc1 »

I bought a two-piece breakdown version of Werner's Nantahala paddle through NOC earlier this year. It's a more-than serviceable option.
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

According to AB's website - they only make the Edge in 2-inch intervals...so maybe when you say 57, they just round up?
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

That's the funny part about the whole AB debacle. The first breakdown AB made for me (this was all being handled through a local paddling shop) had a decal on it that said 58", which tipped me off that it might not be 57" and, measuring it, it wasn't. The retailer ordered me a second one at that point and when it arrived several weeks later, it had a 57" decal on it. I pulled out a tape measure just to check and it was a full 58". Go figure.

A couple things I will say about AB that are very positive are:

1. They don't charge extra for their breakdowns. Eddyhops points to a site that sells AB breakdowns for $139. Mine was $99 through my local paddle shop, same as what a single-piece paddle cost.

2. AB was flexible on where to have the paddle break. I told them I wanted it to separate 8" up from the blade and they did that.

3. It's easy to shorten the paddle yourself.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Why 8" up from blade?
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Two reasons. One it made the paddle closer to equal lengths (not very close, but enough that it shoves really nice in the bow of a Prelude). And two, having some shaft on the blade end makes it a little easier to secure in the boat. AB likes to do it breakdowns by simply have the blade insert into a full-length shaft. That's what you'll get if you don't say anything.
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

Hmm.. any other thoughts on the _where_ question of putting the break in the paddle? I assume two-piece is better than 3 if you can fit it.

And any other success stories of getting your break-down with no additional cost? If someone can name me a retailer in the greater Asheville area that can order me a $99 break-down Carbon Edge, I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

might wanna get a 3pc. they break down to just about the size of the blade.

it'll fit in more boats, and you presumably will have it much longer than your current boat. who knows what you'll be wanting to paddle next.

might as well make it easy to pack away, because you will always be carrying it and hardly ever using it.

it'll function just as well as a 2 pc.
Larry
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Ab no longer makes the 3 piece (2 piece is a better quality paddle anyways).

Will post where you can get some at this time whenever I hear back.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com