What is this saddle?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

watermonkey
C Boater

What is this saddle?

Post by watermonkey »

encore saddle.jpg
I saw this saddle on an Encore that is currently for sale out of Durango. What is it?
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Re: What is this saddle?

Post by Bob P »

Interesting. Looks like what I did in a (Dancer) kayak conversion back in the early 80s.
Bob P
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Dancer conversion !?! That must have been great for roll practice!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Seat is definitely a custom job, but nice looking. I mean, it's got a drink holder and everything! 8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

ezwater wrote:Dancer conversion !?! That must have been great for roll practice!
I only paddled it for a year (replaced with a Gyramax), but I don't remember ever unintentionally flipping. My previous boat (Perception Spectrum) was much worse.
Bob P
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

KNeal wrote:... I mean, it's got a drink holder and everything! 8)
Drink holder? I thought that was a reservoir to collect the side effects of rapids that scare the p out of you. :-)
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

NickParker wrote:Drink holder? I thought that was a reservoir to collect the side effects of rapids that scare the p out of you. :-)
That's what the inside of the boat is for. :wink:
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Virgil3
c

Post by Virgil3 »

A friend of mine has a similar set up in a Mohawk XL12 and likes it. A local guy was makig them from AL. Of course I think it is almost 20 years old.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Really like this - can you post a pic with the camera in the boat? Are the aluminum tubes welded to a bar?
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Wendy wrote:Really like this - can you post a pic with the camera in the boat? Are the aluminum tubes welded to a bar?
That's the way I did it. In my case, I used a 1/8" by 1" bar bent to the contour of the front and rear hulls. With an open boat it's easier, since the thwarts are flat (and you can move them around a little. You can bend the aluminum tube in an EMT bender if you're careful. Use at least .065" wall to avoid kinking. I connected the tubes with straps a couple of times along their run to keep them more stable.
Bob P