Need suggestions for C1 for a kid

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jlc22
c

Need suggestions for C1 for a kid

Post by jlc22 »

Looking for suggestions on a good older boat to convert to a C1. My 11 y/o son has decided he wants to try paddling a C1 or canoe. I'd rather not sink too much money into this to start, since he may decide it's too much work and can go back to his kayak. Looks like there are plently of possibilities with older boats in the $100-$200 range, I'm just not sure which ones make better conversions.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

What size is he? WS X would be a good start.
jlc22
c

Post by jlc22 »

He is right at 90lbs. If it matters he's 5ft with a size 9 foot.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Platic boats: any small playboat, Jefe Chico/Remix 47, Small Solo?

But, why not just pick up a cheap second hand slalom c1 off of a junior paddler who's outgrown it? If/when he gets the bug, then he'll be able to determine what he wants in a boat when the time comes to go plastic?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

An old amp like mine works good for my 11yo daughter so far.

These old slicy models are going to make the kids practice their rolls (!) and are good for both playboating , basic surfing and river running techniques. Then later they can decide if they want more of a freestyle short surfing machine, or a longer boat with more volume for creeking, or ruin your budget with both! :lol:
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

You mentioned,
he may decide it's too much work and can go back to his kayak
What kayak is he paddling?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jlc22
c

Post by jlc22 »

Paddle Power wrote:You mentioned,
he may decide it's too much work and can go back to his kayak
What kayak is he paddling?
He's currently paddling a Pyranha Rev and spliting time in a Jackson Sidekick with his sister. I've thought about converting the Rev but I'm afraid he'll have trouble becauese he tends to be lazy and hit a stroke or 2 when he needs to. The Rev is slow, so I'm not sure how he'd do with a single blade. If anyone has tried to Rev as a C1 I'd like to know what they thought of it.
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Re: Need suggestions for C1 for a kid

Post by Bob Wiggins »

i would not do an x- im about 115 lbs and have problems rolling it because it rides too high and tends to pop out and flop back on top of me when i go to roll. i can roll it on a high brace, but it takes practice and was very frustrating for me- just about sent me back to my kayak, as you said. it is also a boat that requires a LOT of paddling to get where you want without stern squirting or flipping.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Re: Need suggestions for C1 for a kid

Post by Yukon »

Hi I just picked up a Centrifuge c-1 for my son who is 12 and a big kid. He loves it so far, but we are just in the pool for the winter,He plays kayak polo in it and can really move it around. And it rolls easy for him. He can roll with the polo ball. He also loves to pop the skirt and goof around half full of water, very entertaining to watch
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.