Option reflections , not from the Gnar harhar

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Option reflections , not from the Gnar harhar

Post by Wendy »

I traded my L'Edge for an Option. I really love the L'Edge also, I just wanted to try the Option as I am not a steep creeker- just up to class III-IV, mostly III.
As a short older female boater the first thing I noticed I can load the boat easily using the Yakima boat loader to get it up on the ELement. Carrying is easy on the shoulder or head with it turned backwards so you can see.
Only got to paddle it on the Nanty briefly and class I + and flatwater. It is raining now so hope this change Sat.
Anyway- on flatwater in a 5-10 mph wind I did not have to fight the boat. Great speed, paddles straight flat, carves like a dream, easily taken down to the gunnels on and off side for figure eight drill, backpaddles very well for a short boat.
On my brief class I-II+ experience so far with the side foam carved out so the knees are out a little more than the original outfitting allows- love the ease of ferrying in current, surfed like a dream, and not sure how wet it will be for my weight.
I hope to get it on at least class II-III soon. More reflections later. No I am not a gnar boater, but I represent a class of boater- women, smaller men, children who will appreciate this boat in a way they might not have been able to in a L'Edge. The L'Edge has so many strengths, especially if you are taller, male. I am glad to have both boats for choices. Thanks guys
milkman
C Maven

Re: Option reflections , not from the Gnar harhar

Post by milkman »

Thanks for the review, Wendy. Sounds like you're really going to like the Option. I'd love to have one make it to the West Coast so that I could try it. I've been tempted to buy one, but am a little too happy with my Prelude to put out that kind of cash just to test drive a new canoe.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Thanks for the comparison, Wendy. I only own more "traditional" Royalex whitewater OC-1s but have toyed with the idea of buying a polyethylene OC-1 play boat at some point in time. The major candidates seem to be the Spanish Fly, the L'Edge, and the Blackfly Option.

I have only paddled the L'Edge once on the Nantahala, and as my allergies were killing me I felt like crap, so it probably wasn't a fair assessment. I did find it remarkably dry, stable, and forgiving for a boat of its size (all great attributes) but much less edgy than I anticipated, and frustratingly slow with any move upstream against the current.

It sounds from your comparison as if the Option would be worth considering. For what it is worth, I am currently around 180 lbs.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I'm especially interested in the acceleration and stability in comparison to the L'Edge.

I'm interested into something a bit more stable and a bit more forgiving then my prelude, but not as solid (read slow and wide) as the L'Edge.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

My impression is that both of you would like the Option, given what you seem to be looking for. I hope to get a chance to paddle a narrowed L'Edge like Todhunter's at some point, but the I did find the Option to be in that middle ground you are talking about. Now I'm hoping to get some rain here so I can finally paddle MY new Option! :)

Shep
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Try to get one to Belgium :evil: :evil:

Let alone to demo one! And I'm sorry, try before the buy.

I think for now the best options to try are the Big Dog Force OC1. Or learn to handle my prelude ;-).
Lennart
Pain Boater

Post by Lennart »

@jakke
you cna try the big dog. only problem is that my outfitting sucks at the moment.....
(I do have one without the outfitting that should go in there...)

stavble yes speed (according to kris a bit faster then a sp fly) drynees needs still testing. rolling should be no problem.

OPtion still sound like a good boat , I just cold not resnet the offer on the bigdog.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Always good to get more viewpoints on a boat.

Maybe I should finally get around to writing a review. All the creeks are dry and I can't ski yet.... might as well!
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I got to take the OPtion on the Lower Green today -class I-II.
At this low water the Option is definitely not as rock friendly as the L'Edge. IN the L'Edge when I hit a rock it slide over them. I had to stay very loose in my hips in the Option. The water was brown so hitting rocks could not be avoided in low water.
VEry interesting move made on one rapid. I hit a rock and went over on my onside, pushed down with the knee and held the boat on it's side threw a wave/hole, then after going down 1/2 the rapid in this position I flipped on over. The goat did not faint. I needed to put my head down. Roll practice in the pool should be great as this boat moves easily down to the gunnels. It is easy to keep on it's edge.

Ledges:1 to 1 1/2 foot drops- Boofing is definitely not as easy as the L'Edge. In the L'Edge you land flat easily, but not in the Option at my weight. I would like to hear from Tony and others about how to boof the Option.

Pinned the boat making a class II+ move. The pin was a 3 point pin.When I saw I was not going to make the slot I turned the boat upstream and pinned the boat. It broached on a good size rock and the stern had small rocks on either side pinning it. Good lesson to learn on a class II rapid- do not get pinned going upstream if at all possible. The water was pushing my knees deeper into the bulkhead since I was turned upstream while I climbed up on the pinning rock. I could only free one leg and the other offside leg was stuck. Bert climbed up to me and pulled the boat upstream so I could get free. Lesson learned- I am going to carve a little more at the top of my thighs and never turn upstream if there is a pending broach.

I miss the L'Edge and look forward to becoming better in the OPtion. In deeper water it will be a blast, but the Ion may be a better creeker for low water runs, for me anyway. I like the way the Ion boofs and L'Edge more than the Option so far. My weight of 200 pounds may be part of the problem. It's not my height, 5' 3 1/4". LOL
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

What I noticed about the Option is that performs better as the river difficulty increases. That is, it is not the best boat for cl1/2 but as you paddle cl3 it is better, and real nice in cl4. I'm still getting used to mine, had it out about 6 +/- times so far, but the steeper the river the better and more predictable it behaved. I have paddled Millbrooks, an ME, a Zoom, a Detonator as well as a few tandem boats too. I've also swapped for a time on the river; Prodigy, Outrage, Viper 11, XL13, Caption, Caper, Shaman, Whitesell, Taureau, Prelude, and a couple C 1's. I only paddled a L'Edge for a few minutes, it was nice but I could not find that much different from the Option IMO. The Option will be real nice for creeking and technical river running, but for speed the Millbrook wins out big time. I'm 6' 200lbs When I make the comparison I try to take lots of things into the mix; boat size, weight, stability, nimbleness, dryness, speed, etc...I'm no pro btw, just an average joe.
For fitting your boat; Make sure you carve away the extra foam in the thigh/ knee area first. It's easier to cut some off the saddle, but you'll move the center balance point backward too easily, so get your knees comfy first.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Thanks Craig. I have carved out the knees, but plan on carving more. Good to hear how it performs on higher classes that I will be on soon. Any tricks for this boat when boofing compared to other boats?
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Wendy, I'm still working to get a better boof. See recent thread. I think that the short boats are much more responsive to proper trim, leans, and subtle turning strokes, so less power; more finesse is what I'm thinking
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I'm pretty sure I've been boofing my option just like my other boats. Approach lip with some speed, grab the lip, and launch your hips over. My approach to boofing could probably be described as aggressive.

What I have noticed is that with the Option, speed approaching the lip seems a little more important than in my Prelude. Also, lifting/boofing the bow over holes seems a little more difficult in the Option vs the Prelude. This is probably due to the Option having a little more volume (and I believe slightly less rocker) so it is harder to get the stern down to raise the bow... just speculation, of course.

That being said, the Option is still my choice for harder stuff.

I guess I'd say the mechanics of the boof in the Option are the same, but there are some subtleties which may be different than other boats you've paddled. All part of the fun and learning curve.

Also, I agree with the Option driving better as the river gets harder. I paddled mine the first couple times on class IIish stuff and wasn't really thrilled, but once I got it out on some steep IV-V (or even class III) stuff the boat really shined.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Thanks. I am looking for the fine tune aspects of the Option and appreciate the comments about needing more speed boofing. I know all the basics and have been boofing for years. The little amount I have gotten to do so far in the Option it did seem to need a little more speed than many boats- PRelude, Ocoee, L'Edge, Ion
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Went to French Broad section 9 today at 1050 cfs or so. At this level great flow with all kinds of creek moves to make, so I did.
Boofs better keeping speed up compared to L'Edge where this has not been necessary.
As the lines get harder the Option has a way of finding nice moves you are making easier, till---> you hit a submerged rock on the side and be prepared to "faint you old goat" or enjoy an out of boat experience. I was making the last crux move at Pinball going left of decision rock and headed back right to the ledge drop at the bottom when a nice rock appeared at 1000 cfs. In the L'Edge it would slide on it then you paddle off. IN the Option be prepared to low brace, lower that head, and fast.
Dryness- Wow, much dryer than I thought it would be. I did not plow straight over waves like I would in the L'Edge, but slightly quartered the large wave trains and the front 1/3 then lifted like the bow of the L'Edge does.
Ferries with ease and attains easily.
Very fun day. Lighter weight people may not have the rapid rock reaction since my waterline is different.