WESTFEST 2012

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Re: WESTFEST 2012

Post by yarnellboat »

I myself am not yet a class IV open boater, but would enjoy a bit of time and instruction on mellower stuff in order to build skills and confidence. Plus, just to hang out with other boaters and run different rivers...
And that probably describes, what, about 90% of us (the general population, not the c-boatsters)?! So, you'll be in good company! If any of that other 10% that paddles weekly, has high confidence in class IV+ and expertise in playboating, steep creeking, instruction, and is involved with the industry, well, that would just be a bonus. In the meantime, no doubt there is lots we can learn from each other just enjoying these rivers and hanging out.

And Smurf, many of these things have very simple beginings - and some places out West, 2 canoes counts as a festival - so, I think this would already be the 3rd annual! :wink:

Pat.

p.s. Yukon, Flights are simple to Vancouver. You should get in the habit of coming down here in the spring, before your rivers melt, and getting yourself tuned up by giving a course in Vancouver!

p.p.s It might not be central or close for the California boys, but of course you're all invited to the Tamihi Five-0 Open Boat Slalom every September!
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

There's a theme emerging here -- Truckee and Pat are all over it.

Paddling in the west ain't the same as in the east. There are fewer of us, and most of us aren't as proficient, or as ballsy, as we perceive easteners to be. I'd venture to guess that the majority of western boaters never get beyond Class II+. Even whispering "Class III" causes pants-peeing, and no-shows.

And we're more insular -- we don't take as many opportunities to get together to build our confidence. (Or not yet! Hey -- I think we're on the brink of changing that!)

Bottom line will be that western interest in WestFest will be much more cautious and tentative than easteners show for, say, ALF.

Which is double the reason why the event has to be planned, and promoted, as (1.) Friendly, (2.) Instructional, and (3.) Not-Scary, to Sunday boaters who don't get out often, or push themselves much. Above all, WestFest will have to be recognized as a confidence-builder! If not -- sad to say, folks may not attend.

I don't doubt, from your notes, you already have the handle on this, Smurf. Keep reassuring us! (PM on the way.)

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Rick (Pierre'),
No worries, there are plenty of runs where we can ease our way down, pool to pool and have a great time. I expect to spend more time on class 3 than 4 that weekend, so we're all on the same page I think. A whole day spent at the playpark is well worth it, its that nice for cboaters. Man, there are cool employees of the playpark walking around with little ranger hats, green shirts and a throw rope and they seem to really dig seeing open boats there. Feels like a ski resort. :)
Virgil3
c

Post by Virgil3 »

I will be lobbying for our western trip to include these dates.   Of course, a middle fork permit will change my priorities. 

I am looking forward to taking on Howard's plunge again.  Unfortunately, I don't think it will be at 3800 cfs like it was the day I got to run it.

Of course, I may convince my wife to paddle with me if the level is more reasonable.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

The Group site #1 at Warm springs Campground has been reserved from 2pm Thursday the 19th of July until 1pm on Tuesday 24th July for my club and for WestFest. Come on down/over if you like.

To get there- Take State Highway 55 from Boise, Idaho, 35 miles north to Banks. Turn east on Forest Highway 24 (Banks-Lowman Highway). Go 17 miles to campground.

Here's a link to the campsite-
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Hot_S ... SO&chkAg=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wday
c

Post by wday »

Sweet! there's also a playspot down by the hot springs, not world class but i've always enjoyed it. This area is on the swirly canyon section of the SF Payette too. Looking forward to this for next summer!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Yup depending on the level it can be real fun to surf, take a hotspring break then surf some more. Great area
lagow8
Pain Boater

Post by lagow8 »

I think I will head to westfest this summer. I was in Banks in the beginning of september on me way to the North Cascades in WA, really cool place. I didn't have a boat to paddle so i am pumped that there will be a group of cboaters there.

I will be heading there from Buena Vista, CO if anyone wants to carpool.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Smurfwarrior wrote: . . . there are plenty of runs where we can ease our way down, pool to pool and have a great time. . . a whole day spent at the playpark is well worth it, its that nice for cboaters. . .
Ah-h, yes! :P

Some preliminary drum-beating, via local e-mail, has brought some encouraging results from the North-West: Team BC should be well-represented, including folks from the Island, the Vancouver-Lower Mainland, and the Interior.

A wide range of interest is emerging --

* Experienced OC-1 boaters, wanting to up their skills, and tackle some new runs

* Families with kids and tandem boats, looking for some easy Class II floats

* Playboat'r wannabes, seking expert instruction, in the comfort of play-parks

Products from BC's renowned Micro-Brew operations should be in evidence during the rehydration process.

Scariest of all, some folks (me, for example) have abandoned their principles, and actually signed up for FaceBook, just to access the WESTFEST Event Page.

Keep talking, folks. How 'bout reports from other areas?? :o

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
sganarelle
Pain Boater

Post by sganarelle »

so for east coasties how do we travel with boats or will people be able to lend boats?

i would so love to take part in this.
wday
c

Post by wday »

last couple years Cascade Outfitters has been setting a slalom course just below Otters Slide Rapid on the NF Payette class V section. don't know about next year though, might check in w/them before the event...would be pretty cool to add a slalom race option along with whitewater park, river running, hotsprings, camping, banks/garden valley night life, hot/sunny days...WestFest dream'n on a winters day...
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

That bar in Crouch is a "lively" place as I recall. It would be well worth a stop. Just make sure your toenails aren't painted, unless of course you're a woman.
I'm living in my own private Idaho.
JKaz......
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

sganarelle wrote:. . . will people be able to lend boats?
I'm thinking that several of us will be bringing a wide variety of boats -- playboats, river-runners, etc. -- so we can sample the wide variety of paddling experiences.

Personally, I'm preparing to haul a trailer-full. And I'm happy to share.

It's possible folks will clear out their garages, and bring along gear for sale or swap.

I suggest you re-raise this issue closer to the event, when folks will know what-all they will be bringing.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Wanna see something absolutely nutty and off the hook? Go to the fourth of July fireworks street party in Crouch.

Slalom course should be set up and is normally decent.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Rick brought up a great idea about doing a swap meet at the event. I think its an excellent idea. So... if you have boats/paddles/equipment you would like to sell, list it here and you might get buyers lined up prior to the event.