WESTFEST 2012

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Re: WESTFEST 2012

Post by truckeeboater »

Pierre LaPaddelle wrote:
truckeeboater wrote:Still got your Skeeter on my radar! :D
Hey Truckee -- speaking of such old-school hulls, wasn't it you, months ago, who inquired about an Aftershock for sale in these parts?

Turns out it was a buddy of mine who wanted to off-load it, and since no one else wanted to buy it, I picked it up for a song.

Turns out I like it, and maybe I'll bring it along to WF for you to try.

Perhaps Smurf should offer prizes for the oldest retro hulls to show up. :wink:

Rick

Would be pumped to try out your Aftershock if you bring it along, Rick. Thanks heaps!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'm sure you're an 'ok guy' but lots of your posts come off as a bit grumpy ^^^

Anyways, like I said FB events keep track of who says they are coming, who's a maybe and who declines. For someone attempting to keep a headcount it makes life a bit easier.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

IN THE BEGINNING, THERE WAS MIKEY B . . .

. . . who said: ". . . I'd love a weekend event where I could have my Blackfly and have some of the good playboaters offer assistance/tips on how to improve playboating skills. . . It would be cool to be able to meet up with knowledgeable guys and just work on that type of stuff. It'd even be worth paying for something dedicated like that."

Out of those thoughts came the idea of the First Annual WESTFEST. (Thanks, Mikey B!)

Numbers are growing, and it looks like a good number of C-boaters will be there.

Some will plan to run the many awesome rivers in the area.

And some will be there, as Mikey envisioned, to spend time in the area's Playparks, playing, and improving their skills. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to learn from those "knowledgeable guys" whose playboating skills are legendary.

But it seems a little unfair to ask the experts to give up their WESTFEST time to work with us noobs, without providing, or at least offering, some compensation. Personally, I'm willing to kick in with some expense $$, or whatever it takes to show my gratitude.

Hopefully, others will feel the same way. So -- time to ask for some input:

1. If you are a skilled playboater, and willing to PROVIDE some WESTFEST time to instruct some duffers, would you please let us know? And if you'd like fair compensation for your time, please indicate.

2. If you are planning to show up WANTING instruction, and willing to kick in some compensation, would you please indicate.

Show of hands, please! Post here, or PM me. Thanks!

Oh, and BTW -- if you haven't already indicated you will be coming, please let Smurfwarrior know -- post here, or on the WESTFEST FaceBook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/243945635663186/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
SYAWF

Rick, (Playboat'r Wannabe)
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Kudos to you guys for picking this up and running with it! It looks like it will be a potential annual type event! Definitely would love to make it out that way some day!
Mikey
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Mikey B wrote:Definitely would love to make it out that way some day!
Mikey
That's what we want to hear, Mikey!

I just checked my calendar -- "some day" is July 19th. And, since you started this, we'll need you there as the Grand Marshall of the Big Parade! :lol:
C'est l'aviron. . . !
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

So i guess the Boise play park is all finished up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv-hLaREHh8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Supposedly the grand opening is pretty soon.

Anyone paddled there yet (Smurf)? Looks pretty cool. I'm not a playboater, but it seems to me that eddy service to the wave in the video was relatively non-existent. Maybe this is a function of the configuration of the wave shapers on that particular day?

Anyone else's thoughts?
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

truckeeboater wrote:So i guess the Boise play park is all finished up. . .
Looks pretty cool. . . I'm not a playboater, but. . . Anyone else's thoughts?
PM comin' at ya!
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

http://www.boiseriverpark.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a live webcam on the site above showing the features. I'm not seeing an eddy issue and I'm considering heading up there in about two weeks to try it out.

I'm working hard to have demos available at WestFest from different manufacturers who's boats I will sell in the shop I'm opening out here. We'll see how that plays out.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Richard and I just hammered out a deal, and my new shop will be an official Mohawk Demo Center (with Esquif Demo's too of course).

For those coming to Westfest, please let me know if there is a Mohawk boat you would like to demo. The Phiend is an obvious choice, looking at the interest in their other boats they have.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

I'll vote Maxim and Rodeo in addition to the obvious Phiend, of course!

Great job securing that deal. Looking forward to supporting your new shop in the near future.
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Smurfwarrior wrote:. . . my new shop will be an official Mohawk Demo Center (with Esquif Demo's too of course).
Wonderful news, Jeff -- congratulations!

Dunno how big a trailer you are going to pull to WF, but 'yes' to the list of boats Truckee mentioned! Plus Esquif's best!

And how about Blackfly -- has Jeremy recognized the potential of a western dealership too? 8)

Will try to get a WF campsite list to you this week -- looking at, maybe, 6 - 8 from BC.

BTW -- since getting back on the water in Sept., I've put major mileage on the Bulldog (every trip, except when I know conditions will be bony.) VERY dry in big water, and surfs beyond my wildest expectations! Yahoo! :P

Cheers
Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Looks like Big Dog will be in the house! woop woop! :lol:
Hans Vidkjer
Pain Boater

Post by Hans Vidkjer »

Scanned the thread, didn't see the dates of this thing... :-?

drought blindness :oops: ...there it is 7/19-24, is that right?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Yes, you are correct sir
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Will there be anyone coming that is interested enough in a new OC2 that would make bringing a demo worthwhile?